Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

sandm,

When I did my install, a priority was to minimize lost storage space so I mounted my two amps and two batteries as far forward in the cubby as possible (see pic below). I never put anything wet in there so that's not an issue. All the wet stuff goes in the rear lockers as my ballast bags don't fill them all the way so there is always plenty of room back there for the wet stuff.

I did mount one amp upside down so that I could easily access the adjustment knobs. I wanted to tune them after they were all installed, not prior to, and it also allows me to make some minor adjustments as needed.

I do see some big system installs that take up most of the room in there and it leaves me shaking my head. But hey, if you want big sound, all the stuff has to go somewhere. And when you spend all that money, you want to be able to see all that cool equipment! I totally understand that even though my system is nowhere as big as some of the others on here

Al

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

BTW, you sure got a lot of responses to your rhetorical question
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Mine were installed in the place that is most appropriate. I mean.......Where would you suggest that they be mounted?? There are 4 of them, and they are difficult to find a place to mount them out of the way. Really, you think that after your amps are "set", that you will never have to monkey with them again??!! Seriously, if someone wanted their amps to be seen they would be mounted out in the open........but let's face it.......their really isn't such a thing as a "marine" grade amp. They are all susceptible to damage by water.

I guess your thread just rubbed me the wrong way with the idea that anyone with the amps mounted in the storage under the passenger seat must be sticking them out in the open for the pimp value. I don't know how John could have mounted mine anywhere else where they would be mostly out of the way, and still accessible. I personally think that it is important to mount them in a place where they are a person can get to them. You never know when one of them might have a problem, need to be replaced or adjusted.

Just my 2c
    Easy there JC, nobody was slamming the install methods, especially yours as it's a very clean job. jonyb did a great job on it and sandm was just asking a question is all. I think sandm's question was a valid one that he wanted opinions on. And let's face it some people do just that, for the pimp value, although nobody implied you did. Don't take away more from this than there really is is all.
    2007 Mobius LSV

yea, don't get the panties in a wad. to each his own for mounting options. just find it funny that some of the pics I see, and yes, jonyb does some superb installs, seeing all the amps mounted right as you open the seat and: 1-wasting valuable space, and 2-susceptible to getting wet just makes me scratch my head..

it would appear that the boating scene is still in it's infancy in regards to high end systems and it will be interesting to see what the aftermarket comes up with as it evolves, especially for those that need/want true control of the system, but want it in compact, efficient chassis that can be hidden out of the way. heard and not seen, not like kids should be

and fwiw, personally been into car audio for 22 years and imo once a system is set and tuned, really no reason to adjust again. agree with access to replace parts, but your adjustments should come from the head. again, imo..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

btw, I, too chose to mount mine like cab. 3 real nice looking rockford fosgate units, but hidden way up in the front by the bow seat mounts, out of the way and really hidden..
    was many hours and lots of advil for the sore back, but worth not losing any space over them..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Mine is also in the same spot as cab's, I put it there because its the easiest place to install, didn't require me to move/remove anything. When I add the tower amp I will probably re-install everything (again) behind that side cushion on the spotters seat.

I don't know about you guys, but in my boat that compartment is by far the 'wettest' part of the boat. Maybe the Outback DD having less freeboard is more prone to taking water in, and the fact that I leave mine in the water all the time might mean I get more water seepage from the cover or something...
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    jmvotto, I just installed an amp andtower speakers in our 08 OBV (sorry, no pics, I'll try to get some this weekend). It doesn't look half as nice as what the other folks on here do, but its not too bad I guess. I cut a piece of plywood, 3M spray glued on some carpet I had left over from waverunner trailer bunks, attached the amp to that and then attached the board to the support structure behind the passenger seat and under the dash and to the floor. It's "right there" when you open the seat and limits the space, but it's easy access. It's a Kicker MX350.4 which is a marine amp so not to afraid of it getting splashed, though I don't expect that to happen.
    Bob, i am going to do what you did withe the plywood , seal it and carpet it. Pics would be great though. I am jealous at how big the storage compartment is in the xlv and lsv. I had my eye on an all white and chrome 2010 lsv at the dealer my wife got me and our 07 obv out of there in a hurry LOL
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    my wife got me and our 07 obv out of there in a hurry LOL
    LOL! too funny!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Easy there JC, nobody was slamming the install methods, especially yours as it's a very clean job. jonyb did a great job on it and sandm was just asking a question is all. I think sandm's question was a valid one that he wanted opinions on. And let's face it some people do just that, for the pimp value, although nobody implied you did. Don't take away more from this than there really is is all.

Please forgive me. I didn't realize it when I was posting yesterday, but I was coming down with the flu. I guess I was just grumpy. Oops. Stayed in bed all day yesterday with a fever of 103.
    Best Regards,

Jason

2007 Moomba Mobius LSV Sandrock/Black
    EXILE Equipment
    4-XM-7 Tower Speakers
    6-XT-65 Cabin Speakers
    1-Big12 Subwoofer
    Amps--Xi 1500.1, Xi 800.4 and 2--S400.4

You are forgiven jc, lol! Sorry to hear you got the flu, never fun that one is. That is a super clean install on your boat and i can't wait to hear a report from on the sound as sson as you can!
    2007 Mobius LSV