Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default rhetorical question on amp placement

so as I browse through all the audio threads that seem to keep popping up and all the "pretty" install pics that I see around the web, one question keeps coming up..

why do you install the amps in the compartment out in the open mounted like a car with lighting and easy to view??

with storage so tight on a boat and most everyone using automotive amps and not true "marine" amps, I would think you want them buried in as far out of the way place as you can find so that they do not ever come in contact with that wet lifejacket that gets stored in a cubby for the trip home, or a damp towel, etc..
    I see more mounted out in direct view in that cubby behind the passenger, and they look cool, but I stuffed mine as far back in that cubby as possible, hard to see, and even harder to ever come in contact with anything remotely wet..

thoughts??
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Bling factor. Pimp Points

For us i make all the wet stuff, vests towels all that gear stays in the rear compartments. Only thing allowed in my cubby is back packs. Purses and dry towels at the start of the day.

After its wet it goes in the Bow to dry in the sun or lays on the sun deck till its dry.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I don't put any wet stuff in there either. You do want to keep them where you can reach them to make adjustments though.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I did the same as you. I even moved my 2 batteries back further to act as another barrier and free up some more storage space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brain_rinse; 05-04-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added pics

smaller boats like mine, you can't get to it to install it way back in there. If you have some ideas or pics i am all ears as i amp redoing my amp install this week.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I would think that once you have amps set, you never touch them again, at least I haven't unless changing something within the components of the system.

I guess I can understand the bling factor, as I had big systems in my past imports and a couple of mini trucks back in the day, but I guess I see a boat as more a family and close friend thing and I really don't try to show them the bling, unlike cars where you might go to a show and open it up for all to see.
    not too often(as a matter of fact, never) have I had someone roll up to me on the lake and want to start talking stereo installs

Well i'm with you on that one sandm, i want them out of my way for storage. I get it though, some people like to show their stuff off and there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't like sacraficing space for pimp value. Especially with a wife that brings everything but the kitchen sink!

I put my wet stuff in a back locker that is towel lined and pull it all out at the end of the day to dry. My front storage is always packed. Two batts shoved up side by side as far as they will go, two platic bins full of snacks to feed the hords and womens bags, clothing, etc. GEEZ!
    2007 Mobius LSV

you know, you would think that recreating on the water in the sun should lend itself to the least amount of clothing, but seems that I'm always packing extra clothes for something or another...
    guess it's a good thing there is storage on these

Mine were installed in the place that is most appropriate. I mean.......Where would you suggest that they be mounted?? There are 4 of them, and they are difficult to find a place to mount them out of the way. Really, you think that after your amps are "set", that you will never have to monkey with them again??!! Seriously, if someone wanted their amps to be seen they would be mounted out in the open........but let's face it.......their really isn't such a thing as a "marine" grade amp. They are all susceptible to damage by water.

I guess your thread just rubbed me the wrong way with the idea that anyone with the amps mounted in the storage under the passenger seat must be sticking them out in the open for the pimp value. I don't know how John could have mounted mine anywhere else where they would be mostly out of the way, and still accessible. I personally think that it is important to mount them in a place where they are a person can get to them. You never know when one of them might have a problem, need to be replaced or adjusted.

Just my 2c
    Best Regards,

Jason

2007 Moomba Mobius LSV Sandrock/Black
    EXILE Equipment
    4-XM-7 Tower Speakers
    6-XT-65 Cabin Speakers
    1-Big12 Subwoofer
    Amps--Xi 1500.1, Xi 800.4 and 2--S400.4

jmvotto, I just installed an amp andtower speakers in our 08 OBV (sorry, no pics, I'll try to get some this weekend). It doesn't look half as nice as what the other folks on here do, but its not too bad I guess. I cut a piece of plywood, 3M spray glued on some carpet I had left over from waverunner trailer bunks, attached the amp to that and then attached the board to the support structure behind the passenger seat and under the dash and to the floor. It's "right there" when you open the seat and limits the space, but it's easy access. It's a Kicker MX350.4 which is a marine amp so not to afraid of it getting splashed, though I don't expect that to happen.
    2008 Outback V