Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Removing Ballast Intake Thru Hull Insert

So I started removing the stock ballast stuff in preparation for my upgrade. I got the stock pump off, then then the shut off valve, then the elbow so now I am at the thru hull. My thru hull intake is 1" diameter with a 3/4" diameter threaded insert. I am trying to remove the 3/4" insert without removing the whole intake as I am going to use the existing 1" intake. I tried locking vise grips on the threads of the 3/4" insert (yes, damaged the threads a bit but doesn't matter) with a short cheater bar on the vise grips but it will not budge.

Any ideas how to get it off? Below is a pic.

Thanks,

Al

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I thought that it was one piece. That is why I removed it and changed it out with a real 1" fitting.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Al, its one piece, your going to have to remove the whole thing.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Yep, it looks like an insert but it's not. It's one solid piece of cast bronze.

Well, no wonder it wouldn't budge! Wonder why it's made that way instead of just one continuous 3/4" piece?

Thanks for setting me straight!

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Well, look on the bright side, the hole is already large enough for the new 1" thru hull!! No drilling. I figure they did this so that you only had to drill one size hole in any boat whether it required a 1" or a 3/4" probably a shortcut for the boat manufacturers.
    15 Mondo Surf Edition

02 LSV - Traded In

Need your help again guys. I've removed the big nut around the 1" threaded pipe and have removed the 4 screws (actually, mine only had three) on the scupper from underneath the boat but for the life of me, I cannot get the fitting to break loose from the hull. I've tried beating on it from the top, first with a rubber mallet, then with a small sledge with a piece of wood on top of the fitting to finally, hitting the top of the fitting directly with the sledge to try and break it loose. The thing just won't budge. So what's the trick to gettting this thing off?? I'm afraid of hitting it much harder for fear of breaking something.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Need your help again guys. I've removed the big nut around the 1" threaded pipe and have removed the 4 screws (actually, mine only had three) on the scupper from underneath the boat but for the life of me, I cannot get the fitting to break loose from the hull. I've tried beating on it from the top, first with a rubber mallet, then with a small sledge with a piece of wood on top of the fitting to finally, hitting the top of the fitting directly with the sledge to try and break it loose. The thing just won't budge. So what's the trick to gettting this thing off?? I'm afraid of hitting it much harder for fear of breaking something.

Thanks,

Al
    The Marine sealant just has it "stuck" in there. I beat mine like you did and it poped out. Try to cut around it, in between the through hull and the actual hole in the boat to try and break up that sealant. Or poke a flat head screw driver in that area to break up the sealant. It will pop out. It's just being stuborn! LOL
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Well, I got it out. I cut the sealant around the hole but what did it for me was that I stuck a socket extension inside the pipe and pushed it forward. Hard. That broke the sealant loose on one end and then it was easy after that. However, a small piece of the gelcoat stuck to the scupper and broke off and now I can see the fiberglass strands from under the boat. I guess I will cover that with sealant. Also, remember that I wrote that the scupper only had three screws? Well, that's because whoever installed the scupper broke the head off the 4th screw and just covered it up with sealant. Nice.

So how do I get all the old sealant off? Is there something I can use on it like goof off that will soften it without damaging the gelcoat?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Good Job Al. I can not remember what I used to take off the old sealant. Are you just replacing that one scupper? or are you adding more Scuppers or Thru Hull Fittings? If your adding, did you go to Home Depot and purchase the 1" carbide hole saw. That is the only tool you will need to cut into the fiberglass. If you are adding Scuppers, make sure to drill pilot holes for the screws. I think that is why the head broke off on your scupper.
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!