Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

it took me forever to figure out too. ha. i blamed the boat, the captain, the wake, the board, my 190 lbs, the ballast.

but i kept trying. usually at the end of the day just goofin off.

i have an lsv w/ the bone stock gravity 3 system. now that i figured it out, with just my buddy driving, his wife behind him, and the driver side bag filled, wake plate all the way up (as in nose of boat up), 9-10 mph, i can surf all day.

how? pretty much what everybody else said. it was a matter of finding the correct balance on the board and the sweet spot on the wake. big wide stance, legs bent, your quads should be feeling it. lots of weight on front leg. but not too much or the nose is going in the water, or you'll get so much speed you'll hit the back of the boat. ha. once you get it, you're basically leaning forward to get speed, leaning back to scrub speed. leaning forward to get speed, leaning back to scrub speed. totally different than what i imagined. i thought you'd cut into the wake, then ride down for speed, repeat, repeat. that doesn't work.

the last thing i figured out was the sweet spot on the wake. i kept wanting to be really close to the boat. but after a while, and after learning the leaning forward/leaning back business, i started venturing further from the boat. the sweet spot is right where the wake curls. ride that puppy all day.

once you get it, then you'll start playing with leaning forward, going really fast towards the boat, then cutting into the wake. you'll lose speed so you better start leaning forward immediately.

luke

Default still can't get it

I too am having problems with rope slack. I have the 09 OBV with 750s in the rear and stock up front. I usually get the best curl in the wake at about 9 to 9.5 mph. What am I doing wrong? I have a CWB Ride and a Phase 5 Oogle. I'm 6'2' and weigh about 195. I have tried everything. Foot stance, rope length, boat speed, leaning as far forward as possible, still no slack. I am getting really frustrated. I bought the boat with the intentions of learning wakesurfing by compromising my slalom wake. Now I'm starting to doubt my choice in boats. If I can't get wakesurfing down, I at least want a good slalom wake, and the OBV wake is a little harsh in slalom. It's frustrating hearing everyone riding the "endless wave" ropeless. I consider myself to be athletic and a quick learner, but this one has me stumped. I'm mid way through my second season now and still have the rope. Please tell me what it could be? My board? The boat? Or just me and lack of experience?
    '09 OBV

Any photos of the wake or video of you on the board? We can usually help.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spoon03 View Post
    I too am having problems with rope slack. I have the 09 OBV with 750s in the rear and stock up front. I usually get the best curl in the wake at about 9 to 9.5 mph. What am I doing wrong? I have a CWB Ride and a Phase 5 Oogle. I'm 6'2' and weigh about 195. I have tried everything. Foot stance, rope length, boat speed, leaning as far forward as possible, still no slack. I am getting really frustrated. I bought the boat with the intentions of learning wakesurfing by compromising my slalom wake. Now I'm starting to doubt my choice in boats. If I can't get wakesurfing down, I at least want a good slalom wake, and the OBV wake is a little harsh in slalom. It's frustrating hearing everyone riding the "endless wave" ropeless. I consider myself to be athletic and a quick learner, but this one has me stumped. I'm mid way through my second season now and still have the rope. Please tell me what it could be? My board? The boat? Or just me and lack of experience?

spoon,

As Ed says, it's not your equipment. That CWB Ride is a good board to start on for someone of your weight. Best thing to do is have someone record your next surf session then post it on here. I'm sure we'll be able to help you get free riding soon but we need to see what we're working with.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I think you are all correct. I just need some good 'ol lessons form someone that knows what they are doing. I personally haven't seen anyone ride without the rope other than in videos. Ed, unfortunately, I am in South America working right now. I get home right after that. That could also be the probelm. I only get out about 5-6 times a month and that's crammed into a little less than 2 weeks.
    '09 OBV

Default Thanks Al

Al,
    As soon as I get home, I get a video up and all of you guys can give me pointers which will be greatly appreciated.
    '09 OBV

thanks guys for the input and advice. 3 rd time out ever trying to surf i got slack in the rope consistantly. when i was ready to quit i threw the rope in and rode for about 30 sec. seems like nothing but this new into trying i'm pretty happy. i think i'm hooked on surfing now as well as wake boardin! my girl took some pics so i'm gonna post them when i get some free time
    08 lsv all red- dual battery system, kicker 700.5 and 450.2 amp, 10" kicker sub, wetsounds eq, polk db651 cabin speakers, exile xm7 tower speakers, ss thru hull fittings, seadek pad, evolutions cover

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10664

Default Stoked

I told myself that I would just concentrate on surfing without the rope for the last couple of sessions out. I only slalomed one set a day and then surfed the rest of the days. Yesterday, after a year, I finally sarted to get about a minute a two without the rope. Today, I surfed half way around the lake ropeless, about 7 min. Needless, to say, I was stoked. All of the tips finally paid off. Thanks Ed G., Cab, and all of the rest and their input. You all were right, it was not the equipment, it was my technique. The frustration is finally over. The funny part is, now that I know what I am doing, I fall right into the pocket as soon as I come up and there is slack. What a blast.
    '09 OBV

Default buying a LSV TOMORROW :)

hey guys,

I am buying a new LSV tomorrow and ready to start surfing again. I previously rode behind a buddies Mastercraft X14-v with a LOT of water. He had both Island surfer boards (woody and blue). We got ropeless-ness figured out finally after some struggles. I am looking for a good board to buy for myself. I am about 220lbs. would your recommendations be the two he had?

Any suggestions on ballast? I have the stock 3 tanks will that be enough.

Default surfing tips

i am 6'0'' and weigh 200lbs. I started riding a Ronek 5'6'' board for stability. it was a great learner board and everyone i put on it seem to progress well. As for Sac-- i use a Fat Sac 750lb in my LSV and only fill the middle sac about 30% and have wake plate up. speed 9-9.5 great wake!

seems to work for me -- the 750 really puts a nice wake behind it