Default Upgrading the stock speakers

Well it's time to get rid of the stock speakers and upgrade to something a bit better...
    I've been browsing around at different 6.5" speakers and narrowed down my decision to: Polk DB651, Polk MM651 & Infinity 612M.
    I just recently installed some Polk DB651S (shallow mount) in the front doors of my Honda. They sound really good and the mids and highs are excellent, but the bass isn't too great.
    I know alot of people recommend the Polk DB651's, but I just wanted a few other opinions.......

For 2 pairs of the DB651's I can get them on Ebay for $120
    The 612M's run around $80 a pair
    The MM651's run around $110 a pair

Thanks
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

You can't go wrong with the Polks, safe bet. I've never heard Infinity's but make sure if that's your choice they are marine useable, butyl surrounds & composite cones at least otherwise your asking for trouble.

There are many other great speakers for that use as well from others as well. Kickers RS series is great i hear. Exile makes some great higher end units. Right now i'm running Polk MMC650's, the predecessor of the MM651 and they're great.

Really i guess it comes down to what's your system and what do you expect from it. You have an amplifier in the mix? Without one the higher end speakers won't sound as crisp without power to drive them. Stock head units just can't do that.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    You can't go wrong with the Polks, safe bet. I've never heard Infinity's but make sure if that's your choice they are marine useable, butyl surrounds & composite cones at least otherwise your asking for trouble.

There are many other great speakers for that use as well from others as well. Kickers RS series is great i hear. Exile makes some great higher end units. Right now i'm running Polk MMC650's, the predecessor of the MM651 and they're great.

Really i guess it comes down to what's your system and what do you expect from it. You have an amplifier in the mix? Without one the higher end speakers won't sound as crisp without power to drive them. Stock head units just can't do that.
    Razz - The Infinity's are definately marine approved... They are pretty sharp looking speakers as well.
    I totally forgot about Kicker. I just looked some up on Ebay and the KM6000's go for around $65 a pair and the KM6200's go for $96. The Kicker's look to be completely sealed too. I also looked on Crutchfield for some reviews, but there were none.

As of right now I do not have an amp and just plan to run them off the head unit. (Clarion M475.) I would like to eventually get a marine certified amp though.
    I currently have a car amp that is a cheap-o Pyramid 600W, 2 channel amp. I was thinking of maybe hooking that up, but I don't know... Amp's are always a pain to run all the wires and get them set up how you want. LOL

What would you recommend for a marine certified 4 channel amp that isn't too pricey ???
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Aaron, I don't know if the Bullet 6.5" speakers are out of your price range but they have great bass out of a 6.5" coax and look great.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWhitt82 View Post
    Razz - The Infinity's are definately marine approved... They are pretty sharp looking speakers as well.
    I totally forgot about Kicker. I just looked some up on Ebay and the KM6000's go for around $65 a pair and the KM6200's go for $96. The Kicker's look to be completely sealed too. I also looked on Crutchfield for some reviews, but there were none.

As of right now I do not have an amp and just plan to run them off the head unit. (Clarion M475.) I would like to eventually get a marine certified amp though.
    I currently have a car amp that is a cheap-o Pyramid 600W, 2 channel amp. I was thinking of maybe hooking that up, but I don't know... Amp's are always a pain to run all the wires and get them set up how you want. LOL

What would you recommend for a marine certified 4 channel amp that isn't too pricey ???
    The nice thing about the amps are you really don't need a marine amp. You can use car audio amps and to be honest almost everyone uses car audio amps whether they admit it or not. I can tell you this because very few companies make actual marine certified amps.

Whats makes a marine certified amp? The chip board and other critical components are coated in silicon to make them water proof.

Car audio type amps are fine to use because they should be mounted up off the floor a few inches where water wont reach them. I have 3 very pricy amps id estimate around 2100 bucks worth. They are not water proof by any means. Just mount them higher up on the side walls of the boat like we all do and they will be fine.

As for speakers the reason you HAVE to have a Marine cerified speaker is they are in the cabin, open to the weather and splashes from people. This means they can get wet and the speaker, tweeter, cones and voice coils wont short out on you when they are playing.

Marine Deck vs regular deck to control the system.

Same idea here it really doesn't matter, but then with a marine stereo if your hands are wet and you mess with the controls no chance of damaging the unit. I would highly advise a Marine remote at least so you can change volume and mute it when your hands are wet with no issues.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

spot on mmandley..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

mmandley - Thanks for the great info as well as everyone else !!!!
    I'm going to go ahead and purchase the Polk DB651's.... Found a great deal on Ebay.... 2 pairs for $110 shipped.
    As for the amp, I'm still uncertain whether I'm going to install one or not. I'll see how the speakers sounds after they are installed then go from there.

Oh yeah I also got the boat out of storage today.... Now time for the fun part of de-winterizing and a full detail!!!!!!
    I just purchased some Collinite fleetwax (paste) and some Klasse all in one polish. Supposed to be some of the best stuff out there.
    Last season I was using Collinite's fiberglass boat wax and that stuff was really good as well...
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWhitt82 View Post
    mmandley - Thanks for the great info as well as everyone else !!!!
    I'm going to go ahead and purchase the Polk DB651's.... Found a great deal on Ebay.... 2 pairs for $110 shipped.
    As for the amp, I'm still uncertain whether I'm going to install one or not. I'll see how the speakers sounds after they are installed then go from there.

Oh yeah I also got the boat out of storage today.... Now time for the fun part of de-winterizing and a full detail!!!!!!
    I just purchased some Collinite fleetwax (paste) and some Klasse all in one polish. Supposed to be some of the best stuff out there.
    Last season I was using Collinite's fiberglass boat wax and that stuff was really good as well...
    Aaron, You made a good choice. I had a pair of infinity 612m that came with tower pods i wanted. i ran the polks and the infinty side by side and the polks were better sounding in the highs and lows. also before CC circut city went under i compared the polks and the kicker ks650 side by side and the polks sounded slightly better. Not sure about the bullet points i am sure they rock
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold