Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Outback in rough water?

Hi, I have a 2007 Outback that has been in storage since new. Actual is has 20 hours on it. Used it for half a summer and went working overseas for the last 3 years. Anyways, I moved to Texas recently and I live on a lake that is known to be rough (high traffic from go fast boats, stern drives, wake board boats, etc). I know the Outback rides lower in the water than a V-Drive. My question is for those that have the Outback, how is it in rough water? For the Texas guys here, the lake is Lake Conroe.

Thanks

Hi. The Outback is just like all the other dedicated ski boats. They are specialty boats built for small lakes and calm water.

That being said, we have to go through some very rough water to get to our ski site and it handles it fine. You just have to watch where you are going.
    2007 Moomba Outback
    99.999% Slalom, 0.001% Wakeboarding

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts Elle View Post
    My question is for those that have the Outback, how is it in rough water?
    Scotts Elle - I go a step further and say that an Outback in rough water runs risk of swamping. This is particularly so if the rough water is a result of big boats, some of which put out killer wakes. You've got to be really, really good navigating in those situations and hope that you are working the throttle and approach just right and don't find yourself surprised by a rogue wave. If you are in big water with an Outback, be very careful. I know from personal experience. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I'd have to agree with Deerfield. An occasional bout of rough water is OK and really need to keep the nose up and plug along. But the big water should be left to the other models. My Outback loves smoother sailing and smaller bodies of water.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

We had a 2007 Outback. I had it in Conroe once, and swore I'd never make that mistake again. Same experience in Lake Travis. It's just not made for rough water, period.

If I were you I'd stick to the Trinity or the San Jac. Go to gcwa.com and you will get good info on where to ride in North Houston. If you ever want to venture south to the San Bernard River, I'd be happy to show you around and chat.
    Last edited by TL7; 05-02-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: addition

Thanks. I have been in some rough water with my old Ski Brendella and it sucked. I am trying to find a place to head after work and week ends and since I live on Conroe it seemed like a good fit. I looked at trading it for a bigger boat but trade-in values are horrible down here and to be honest, I really, REALLY like my direct drive SKI boat.

Here she is at her old home...

Future Ski Bum...

After a great day:
    Last edited by Scotts Elle; 05-02-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Scotts Elle,
    Nice Ride.........I like the orange/white.
    Swap the orange for red and it's the same boat!

Question for you, Did you change your decal? Mine has the Swirl Moomba decal and I'm pondering going to something more simple! Both 07's so I would think that they all came with the same from factory??

Anyhow - looks nice sitting in that body of "glass"

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Smile

I totally agree with the above posts. We sometimes travel to get to areas on lakes and it can handle rough water if done carefully,but definetely keep the nose up and as im sure you are aware its easy to put rollers over the nose just circling back picking up riders etc if your not carefull.
    Generally though if you can avoid the rough water its best to do so,sit back and relax.
    They are a a great boat but definetely best in calm waters.

I bought my 07 Outback in Alberta and moved out to Ontario and am using mine on Lake Simcoe. I get a fair amount of use out of it. The windy days I just keep it on the trailer.

I've got an '05 LSV. Not sure how differently a V-drive reacts in rough water vs. a D-Drive, but I ride on Conroe quite a bit. I go out on weekdays after work, and usually, the conditions are really good, especially if you can find a good cove. There have been plenty of weekends where I've crossed the entire lake to grab lunch on the south side of the lake, and the boat handles the water fine. Granted, there are probably more days where I wouldn't think about putting the boat in on weekends, due to traffic/wind.

There have been a few days where a storm has moved in pretty fast (25 mph winds), and the water was terrible. I definitely wished I wasn't out there at those times, but I've never taken water in the boat when the water is terrible, aside from big splashes. You just have the keep the nose up and use your wakeplate to your advantage if you've got one.

For me, it's just about choosing the right days and avoiding the high traffic areas.