Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amp ground & power wires?

When i add my 2nd amp this weekend 1st is a jl m 6600 and the second is a kicker zx 450.2 do i run a dedicated ground back to the battery from each amp, or can i "jump" the ground from one anp to the other then to the battery.

Also for power i was going to run 4 ga to the distribution block then run short 8 ga wires to each of the amps. any problems with that??
    Last edited by jmvotto; 04-30-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Can't jump across amps - you'll need a dedicated ground the same size as the power wire. And you can use a distribution block for the ground, just as you described for the positive if that's easier.

For short runs and not a real high output system run at least 4 gauge power and ground wires to a distribution block. From there seperate power and grounds to each amp of at least 8 gauge wire and you'll be ok.

Put a fuse (thermal or traditional) matching or slightly higher than the combined capacity of both amps 12-18" between the positive terminal and dist block.

Here's a fused style distribution block. you'll need at least 1-4ga in / 2-8 ga out.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Jl states this for the amp
    4-gauge power and ground leads and a 60-amp fuse recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
    no onboard fuses — when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 60-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and amplifier is recommended

Kicker states it has

2-Channel amplifier with two 30A ATC blade fuses inserted

I have a 100 amp inline fuse do i need a 150??

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

So you've got a combined of 120 if i'm reading you correctly. I would think a 120-130 would be fine but let me double check that.

If the JL amp is un-fused I personally would run a dist block like the one i showed with seperate inline fuses for each 8ga out power wire. So a 60a fuse on each side of the dist block.
    Last edited by Razzman; 05-01-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

This chart came in handy when doing some wiring.

http://www.affordable-solar.com/wire.charts.htm
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I also have the JL 6600 amp, very nice amp...it does get warm though even at low volume.

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    When i add my 2nd amp this weekend 1st is a jl m 6600 and the second is a kicker zx 450.2 do i run a dedicated ground back to the battery from each amp, or can i "jump" the ground from one anp to the other then to the battery.

Also for power i was going to run 4 ga to the distribution block then run short 8 ga wires to each of the amps. any problems with that??
    As Razz said, best bet is run 4 gauge to the power distro block, 8 gauge is fine for a short run.

Personaly id run 4 gauge to the amps and 4 gauge to the distro block as my weakest point. The distro block really wants to see a 2 gauge line if your running amps with a 4 gauge.

Depending on where in the line your fuses are depends on how big you want. Add all the fuses up on your amps and this is the size the main power from the batter needs on it. If you have a main fise on your distro then a 120 is what you want. You can go 150 but your risking a 130 or 140 amp draw to pass the distro and hit the amps.

If you have a fused distro where the fuses is on each leg of the wire to the amps then you need a fuse the size of the total of 1 amps fuses. 60 amps in this case.

Pic 1 shows my Distro with fused lines to each amp and the main line to the distro is fused as well.

This is more protection then you need but i dont like risking my gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Joe,

Follow razz's advise and have a dedicated 60 amp fuse on each power cable after the distro block since your JL does not have an on board fuse. I have the same jl amp and a zx700.5 and that's what I did.

I ran 4 gauge from the distro block to each amp and I think 1 ga from the distro to the battery. I calculated the cross sectional area of 4 ga wire then used the size cable that was 2x that area for the distro block to the batt. Overkill probably but I did not want to starve my amps for juice.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Do the negatives follow the same route into and out of the dist block. ( ie 4 ga in two 8 ga out, our can i just do 4 ga in two 4 ga out.

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold