Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the benefit of a Perko switch, over an Isolator?

Why does everyone seem to choose the Perko switch over an isolator? It seems like an isolater would be way easier, without having to screw with the switch position and all that. Is there a major benefit to the switch, other than the switch is cheaper?
    2013 Outback V

I think part of it is the fact the Isolator is harder to use with a Wall charging system at home. Not positive but i think thats is.

I was about to pull the trigger on this a few months ago. Now im on the fence as to what i want.

I dont like switching my Perko all the time but then again i understand it, im comfortable with it and it works lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I'm just lazy, I'd rather it be automatic. I never charge my battery manually (unless its out of the boat and on a trickle charger), so that wouldn't be an issue for me. I think I'm going with the isolator.

I also don't need a 'dead' switch, since I leave my boat in the water and need the bilge to work at all times. I've never had an issue with killing the battery either, so I think the isolator is the way to go, I just want to make sure there isn't some huge reason I'm missing.
    2013 Outback V

I have been told that one downside is that if you are on lake and isolator goes bad you will not realize until its too late and both batts run dead.

Quote Originally Posted by bradcraig78 View Post
    I have been told that one downside is that if you are on lake and isolator goes bad you will not realize until its too late and both batts run dead.
    Well i guess that could be the case but then i personally have never seen one go bad, or heard of it. I've had ISO or ACRs on every boat and wouldn't do otherwise. All it takes is for you to forget to switch just one time and you could potentially be stranded.

I too never worry about charging batts in the boat when not running, don't see the need nor do i want to have to mess with a Perko, just a pain in the rear. It might be that for the guys with overkill stereos and huge battery banks shorepower charging is neccessary to keep all that topped off. But then a high end alt like a Balmar would keep them up too, that is unless you spend more time playing your stereo than actually boating.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I just installed the BlueSeas ACR as per Razzman's help (shoutout!)
    Anyhow, for me that seemed the best way to go!

And what's the big deal with charging the batts with the isolator? Can't you just hook up the charger to one battery and the isolator will detect it and charge both at the same time??

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

From what ive read and im no expert on Isolators due to the way they charge and protect the starter battery you have to have a On Off type switch to run a house charger on them.

They work by once the Start batter is charged 100% then it allows the secondary battery to charge. A house charger will since the Starter is 100% and shut off and this will not allow the Iso to switch to the secondf battery. If you connect to the second battery then thats how to charge it but then you will still have to manualy put it on the first battery as the isolator wont switch it.

This is what i understand from the posts on other forums and from reading about multibanks battery systems like i have and the troubles with charging at home with a Iso installed. This is whats keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I dont want to make my charging difficult, yet i also dont like switching my Perko.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike that is only the issue with charging at home right? If that is the case then no issues since you should be on the water and not at home.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I use a Perko on my boat (3 batteries) and don't find it a problem to switch it. I have a Promariner onboard charger and store my boat in an enclosed storage unit with power and timer.

I use the simple method. If i know that i'm not going out for 3-4 weeks then i simply make sure the ACR switch is off (which it always is) and connect two trickle chargers to the batts, plug them into a gang plug, connect an extension cord and run it into the garage. Done. Hurts nothing, no issues and the batts stay charged. Some people will say trickle chargers don't do the job ... I say BS! They are maintainers and automatic only allowing a charge when needed.

I use the battery tender jr brand and they work fantastic. They have a quick connect harness that stays on the batt so connection takes seconds without even taking the box cover off. In fact that's the same charger H-D uses re-branded and i've used one of those for years on the bikes. I would average 5 years on a Harley AGM batt, almost unheard of, all due to maintaining.

There was a thread on WW a couple years ago where "G" (who has 5-6 batts) simply installed a bunch of battery tender jr's into a plastic box, hung it over the boat and plugged them in and his batts stayed perfect. His system has four ARC amps, three subs, six coax, tower speakers, two playback LCD screens, etc. You get the point. He did find afterwards that his alt couldn't keep them all charged so he added a Balmar 160a alt later.

Long post but that's the reason i don't see the need for a big onboard charging system. To me, and let me quantify this is just my opinion, they are just more for the bling factor. Somebody started adding them to wakeboats and now it's one of those must have options. Again just my 2 cents worth and opinion.
    2007 Mobius LSV