Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default POLK AUDIO db6501 COMPONENT SPEAKERS

I just installed a whole new sound system in my boat last night. After it was all said and done, the component speakers don't sound half as good as the coaxial speakers (db651's) that I installed in the front. I have a Sony XM604M amp pushing them all and a Sony CDXM60UI receiver. Does anyone know why the coaxials would sound so much better than a component system? From what I have heard the component system is supposed to blow the coaxials away.

Can you describe how the amp is wired to the speakers? Are you talking sound quality or loudness?

The amp is wired to the crossover that comes with the system and from there the wires go to the woofer and the tweeter. The sound clarity is great at low power but when you crank them up the coaxials blow them away in loudness and clarity. I have tried every switch on the amp but nothing makes the rear speakers sound any better. The components are not closed in like the coaxials, that is probably the problem.

I was thinking more about how many speakers you had and how they were hooked to the amp. Do you have just 4 cabin speakers running on a 4 channel amp?

I only have 4 speakers and I am running a 4 channel amp.

Short answer: you're under powering the components. They are rated at 100w continuous but your amp is only pushing 60 watts RMS. The coaxials are rated at 60w continuous which is right in line with the amp.

Just for the record and to help troubleshoot;
    • Are you sure they're phased correctly?
    • What do you have the crossover frequency set at?
    • Where do you have the gains set?
    • What is your power source for the amp?
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Short answer: you're under powering the components. They are rated at 100w continuous but your amp is only pushing 60 watts RMS. The coaxials are rated at 60w continuous which is right in line with the amp.
    It's 100 rms max but even at 60 rms they should sound decent. I'm suspecting that amp though and betting it's not accurate with
    60 rms @ 4ohms. I've never been a fan of Sony gear.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    It's 100 rms max but even at 60 rms they should sound decent. I'm suspecting that amp though and betting it's not accurate with
    60 rms @ 4ohms. I've never been a fan of Sony gear.
    I agree, and you're helping fill in the "long answer." I just had a second to respond and was shooting from the hip.

All your questions are spot on. You first need to verify everything is set up correctly, including power source, gains, phase, x-over, etc. I was assuming that with a 4 channel amp and 4 speakers, and passive crossovers on the components, that the install was fine. Add to that the fact that db651s sound great even on deck power but that components require some real power... and that the sony amp's specs didn't align with the components, and that they tend to suck... and...
    Like I said, shooting from the hip.

* Are you sure they're phased correctly?
    -Still need to check...

* What do you have the crossover frequency set at?
    -The tweeter is set at -3db, no other settings on crossover.

* Where do you have the gains set?
    -I have the rear components set higher than the front coaxials.

* What is your power source for the amp?
    -Battery.