Thread: Bent Rudder

Default Bent Rudder

Hey everyone, I am new to the boards. I purchased an 02 Moomba Outback LS about two months ago and have enjoyed every minute of it so far.

However, this past weekend I ran into trouble. I just launched the boat and was heading towards our usual spot at about 25-30mph when I heard & felt a thump. It didn't really slow me down at all or change my course of direction.

I had hit a stump. The water was somewhat low however you could not see the stump above the water until after I went over it and looked back to see the it in the middle of the wake. When the water settled, it went under again.

I pulled the boat out of the water and sure enough, the rudder is bent back. It still turns in both directions, however it will only turn about 75% in each direction.

I am located here in Houston and was thinking about taking it to Rinkers Boat world and having them replace it. They quoted me $500-600 just to replace the rudder. If there is fiberglass damage, it will be more of course.

My question is, if there is fiberglass damage - how much more am I looking at and is there any other place people recommend to take it to get replaced? Can it be bent back? Recommend it?

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry to hear about your misfortune on the stump.

As for the picture it appears only the shaft to the rudder is bent. The fiberglass doesn't look to be damaged. You can inspect the fiberglass by looking around the bottom where the rudder bolts and see if there is cracks or anything.

Then look inside the boat as well. This is of course a ruff estimate for damage as you have to remove the assembly to really see. First glance though you got lucky and only bent parts.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

If your mechanically inclined at all a rudder is nothing to replace. It's more of getting to it than anything else. If you can replace spark plugs you can replace a rudder. You just have to follow procedures and your golden.
    2007 Mobius LSV

What about bending it back?

I'm not saying it 's right or wrong but I know if it was "my" boat I would hook a come along to the bottom of the rudder and somewhere forward of the rudder on the trailer and try to bend it back.If it straightened out I'de put it in the water and check for leaks. JMO
    jy

It'll snap right off. The right thing to do is replace the rudder and the rudder port (which was probably damaged as well-- even if you can't see it).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

First, really inspect the area where the rudder housing bolts to the boat. That front screw (in your attached picture) seems off center, like there MAY be damage in the fiberglass.

DO NOT try to bend the rudder shaft back on the boat. Once you get the rudder off of the boat (which isn't too difficult), THEN you can try to bend the shaft back. However, I doubt you will find anyone who will attempt that job.

Remember, you had a 3000+ lb boat traveling at 25-30 mph hit something that would bend a 1" steel shaft (easily and quickly); that is A LOT of force.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Ok I have taken out all of the panels from the rear storage compartment and now I am on top of the fuel tank. I'm a little hesitant to pull this thing out since I have never done this before.

I am thinking about just dropping this off at Rinkers Boat World tomorrow and letting them handle everything.