Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose bag

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    mike,

I think I asked you this on the lake yesterday but why are you putting a bow bag in? Did you way that you are trying to make a longer surf wake?

Al
    Yes Al i want to get my wave longer. Also i am doing something wring because my wave does not curl around like everyone elses does. Its very rampy and tall but fairly straight, doesn't have a tail to help push the board.

I think i understand your idea Ryan. I will have to re read this in the am as im tired and not thinking as clearly as normal..Is there a normal?? lol
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Yes Al i want to get my wave longer. Also i am doing something wring because my wave does not curl around like everyone elses does. Its very rampy and tall but fairly straight, doesn't have a tail to help push the board.

I think i understand your idea Ryan. I will have to re read this in the am as im tired and not thinking as clearly as normal..Is there a normal?? lol
    Hmm, don't know what the difference could be. We have the same hull and same ballast configuration, only diff is the prop and I don't think that would make much difference. I'll have to jump on your boat next time and check it out. I did notice that u are sitting in the driver's seat whereas I stand along the center line of the boat (on top of the ski locker) so that my weight doesn't counteract the surf side ballast. I also have the wakeplate all the way up whereas I think u said u had yours halfway down.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Yes your correct on both accounts but i wouldn't think that would be a huge difference eighter on the curl, but maybe it does. I'll try standing on the locker next time. It just looks to me when i put the plate all the way up and the nose it straight up all i get is more ramp but less length
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I can get a pretty big wave without any center/nose ballast at all and i sit in the drivers seat on the bolster. I do however have at least 4-5 human ballast subjects when surfing on the surfside.So I run 4-5 peeps, plate all the way up, 750lbs surfside, around 10.5 mph.

Now here's a really weird observation i made last year. We were running the normal crew and while surfing, one peep of about 180lbs moves over to the rear locker (drivers side) to get a silver bullet and the wave immediately lengthened but maintained it's height and form! I left him there and we continued. I haven't been able to get out yet to duplicate but it was weird that almost 200 lbs dark side would do that.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Hmm, don't know what the difference could be. We have the same hull and same ballast configuration, only diff is the prop and I don't think that would make much difference. I'll have to jump on your boat next time and check it out. I did notice that u are sitting in the driver's seat whereas I stand along the center line of the boat (on top of the ski locker) so that my weight doesn't counteract the surf side ballast. I also have the wakeplate all the way up whereas I think u said u had yours halfway down.
    Once the wake is big enough, moving a small bit of weight forward or back or further outboard on the boat will change the shape-- as will the wakeplate. And, the prop also makes a difference in shape at this point. I noticed over the weekend that the higher pitched props (lower RPM's, less holeshot but higher top speed) actually threw a cleaner surf wake.

Edit: In other words, cab, you are running one of the two best surf wake props in my estimation.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I can get a pretty big wave without any center/nose ballast at all and i sit in the drivers seat on the bolster. I do however have at least 4-5 human ballast subjects when surfing on the surfside.So I run 4-5 peeps, plate all the way up, 750lbs surfside, around 10.5 mph.

Now here's a really weird observation i made last year. We were running the normal crew and while surfing, one peep of about 180lbs moves over to the rear locker (drivers side) to get a silver bullet and the wave immediately lengthened but maintained it's height and form! I left him there and we continued. I haven't been able to get out yet to duplicate but it was weird that almost 200 lbs dark side would do that.
    That is very interesting Razz....So when your 1 buddy went to get a cold one, you could actually see a noticable difference in the length of the wave?? You gotta grab those 4-5 together again and put this to test! Would be very interested in seeing this tested.

What were the weights of the 4-5 people?

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    That is very interesting Razz....So when your 1 buddy went to get a cold one, you could actually see a noticable difference in the length of the wave?? You gotta grab those 4-5 together again and put this to test! Would be very interested in seeing this tested.

What were the weights of the 4-5 people?
    A very noticable difference. Weight of peeps was probably in the 750 lb range, 3 big guys and two of my grandsons. Hopefully i can replicate again soon, if not then it won't be until early June.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Razz i see your point when we surf and its all my buddies i can move peeps around and see the wave reshape. Sunday its was just us 3 and when i went to the nose i saw the wave lengthen but when i surfed my buddy Carlos a lot smaller guy didnt make much difference.

This is one of the reasons i want the nose bag. Also with that big 750 in the back i stand my on tail now as you can see in the pic Al posted. Thats 10 ish mph and the wave was very steep and i could get it cleaned up but it was short IMO.

When i see Als pics of his wave it has a nice long pocket, look behind his son in the video and you see the wave curl back around him and that curl is whats carrying the board. A straight rampy wave will not push the board forward, it pushes it out away and you constantly toe in hard to stay in it. At least thats how i see mine. Maybe its me. I need to get Al or Ryan out with me to help dial this in.

Im not going all summer with a crappy surf again LOL.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike this is my typical wave with the setup as stated above, now this is before the accidental revelation. Now it's not as far back as Al's but it's not right up at the platform either and it generates a lot of speed and is great for ariels. Remember that pic was taken by somebody sitting and not hanging over like most you see and even then it's pretty big.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

Mike-

Give me a call and we can run through the options that are available to you.

If anyone else is interested I'm happy to post them here as well, I just through I would save the time of typing it out.