Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boat Owner Basic Training

Ok, so I read the threads on boat ramp idiots as well as those who act like fools on the water. I bought my first boat last year because I always wanted one and to finally be on the water. I have since sold it and am (extremely anxiously) waiting to pick up my '03 Mobius LS. (They are repairing all imperfections in the gelcoat and buffing everything, putting a new swim pad on, etc.)

My question is, where should new boat owners who CARE about not being one of the idiots at a busy launch or out on the water go to learn the basic etiquette and technique. I feel like I have been pretty responsible and read a lot, watched things on youtube and had a longtime boater friend take me out one day to show me basics. But it seems these types of resources are kind of limited. I mean some things seem simple enough, but since noone is required to be taught proper technique, if you don't care enough yourself to not feel/look like a novice and seek out info, you can potentially be a pain to others around you. I want to avoid those for myself and for those I'm sharing the water with so I am always looking to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Things such as how to properly raft up with another boater (and etiquette involved), tying up to a dock when there are limited cleats, launching alone (again, and etiquette involved if you are alone), maneuvering in a crowded area, etc. I read on one thread where one guy here pulled in to pick his wife up on a crowded dock, reversed it, spun around on its axis basically and pulled away. Now, how the hell would I learn advanced stuff like that?!?!

I have done all of these things, but without swallowing a little pride and admitting to people that I had never done some of these things, I never would have learned. And for all I know, someone may have told me the wrong way to do something and I've ignorantly continued to do so.

So, long story short, where can one learn or brush up the basics of boating - operating, maintenance, etiquette?

Thanks and am very anxious to be another Moomba owner!!

Like almost everything in life, there is a learning curve. If you want to practice stuff at the boat launch, a weekday is your best bet. Practicing on the weekends would automatically dump you into the "idiot" column. One thing to remember is never approach a dock at a speed greater than you are comfortable hitting the dock. IE, dont fly up to the dock and throw it in reverse.

Most nuances will come with time and most importantly just watch what you are doing. Try and take as little of time at the ramp as possible and try to get the majority of things loaded onto the boat before you get to the launch. As for rules of the road on the water, following the golden rule will generally steer you in the right direction.

Lastly, dont be afraid to mess up. I have been around boats (mainly saltwater fishing boats) my entire life. Within the first 2 weeks of owning my Moomba and first inboard boat, I launced the boat and forgot to take the back straps off. After about ten minutes of fooling with it I finally remembered the straps at the back.

I've seen lists of DO's and DONT'S posted in other places. Most of them are dead on. It's mostly about being respectful of other people's time and their investment. But, I agree that you could write a book about this but most of us know instinctively anything you would say and those that don't would never read it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I come from an 18ft bass boat to my new XLV a few months ago and I still feel like a complete novice near the small courtesy dock at the ramp. When I pull up to the dock my boat takes up the entire length of it. I figured out yesterday that a modest tail wind makes approaching the dock much more challenging so from now on I'm keeping the bow upwind.

This is something we did last year when we first bout our LSV. Get a rubber ball, we choose a football as we can toss it around in the water as well.

Just toss the ball out in the water, then practice driving up to it to grab it over the side. Its surprisingly difficult if you approach to fast, the boats wash will push it out of reach, to slow and the ball might float away. Other good thing is no danger if you hit it or run over it as it wont damage the boat and you can kill the power to not damage the ball.

Being able to use a dock or launching loading the boat is always best on the weekdays but even still you will have those days when you just cant get it right smoothly. Happens.

The best thing for getting comfortable with the boat is drive it.

1 last thing wheny ou approach a friendly boat you know, GO SLOW no Wake speed slow at least 100 ft before them.

My first time last summer with Jester, i saw him and rolled up to say hi to him and his crew, i didn't know any better and cut the power and turned to pull up next to him, the rollers hit him and he wasn't mad, but he wasn't happy LOL. His crew was thinking dam newby boater LOL. Since then i roll up on people very slowly lol.

I have docked our boat a ton, as im normally driving when we get to that point, a small wind or a jerk making rollers will drastically change the docking, just take your time and you will get it. I have learned to drive up and spin the tail of the boat around and everyone can jump on the swim deck, then i drive away. It just takes practice learning your boat. Just like driving your car.
    Last edited by mmandley; 04-26-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

This is a really good question that so often goes unanswered. I'd like to take a stab at a Ramp Checklist. Hopefully, the other members will chime in and fill in where I missed important issues regarding launch ramp educate a making sure you launch a properly prepared boat. I'll break it into two sections; one, launching the boat, and two, retrieving the boat.

For me the number one issue around launch ramps is people who plop their boat into the water and for whatever reason, sit there and clog the ramp without regard to others who are either launching or trying to retrieve their boats. There are times when things just happen and it's unavoidable. However, most of the time you can get in and out of the ramp hassle free.

Launching:
    When arriving at the ramp area, first park in the designated area for preparing your boat to be launched. This is where you want to do ALL your pre-launch preparation. Do not pull your rig around and back down close to the water, then sit there removing your trailer straps, putting the plug in, making sure you have enough ice, etc.

In the launch prep area:
    a) Remove trailer straps.
    b) Put in the plug(s).
    c) Keys in the ignition.
    d) Dock lines and fenders should be out and accessible in the boat (if needed).
    e) Load all items into the boat that you'll be taking with you (coolers, towels, skis, wakeboards, etc).
    f) Once you have everything ready to go, when it is your turn, back the boat and trailer down into the water.
    g) Start the engine BEFORE unhooking the bow strap from the trailer. I can't emphasise this enough. The last thing you want to do is have your boat floating off the trailer only to find your engine won't start or your battery is dead. If you leave the strap hooked up and the engine won't start, you can easily haul it right back out of the water and diagnose the problem up away from the launch ramp.
    h) Engine is running so now unhook the bow strap (either lean over the bow and do it yourself or have the trailer driver do it.
    i) Back the boat off the trailer then leave the launch area and stay clear until your trailer driver and passengers are all ready to board at the same time. If your ramp has a large enough dock to accommodate several boats, you can tie up and wait for your driver to return and board. My local area ramps are usually very crowded so I try to stay clear until I need to pick people up.
    j) When you see your passengers on the dock, slowly move into position and pick them up. Don't be afraid to sit back and wait if it's really crowded. Let the other guy dig up his/her boat.
    k) You're outta there! Go have some fun!!!

Retrieving
    a) When you see a clearing at the dock, move in and drop off your trailer driver. Make sure he/she has the truck keys.
    b) If it isn't too crowded, disembark any passengers that want to get off the boat also.
    c) Pull out away from the launch area and stay clear until you see your trailer coming down the ramp.
    d) Once your trailer is in position, drive up onto the it and secure the bow strap and tighten it all the way up to where you know it is fully on the trailer.
    e) Before pulling the boat out, I like to attach two equal length bungee cords from the transom ski cleat to each of the upright trailer poles. This keeps the boat centred on trailer while it is being pulled out of the water.
    f) The trailer driver should pull the boat completely out of the way of the launch ramp to the designated area for post retrieval.
    g) Once parked, check the boat over to make sure it's on the trailer correctly, damage, etc.
    h) Pull the plug(s).
    i) Attach the trailer straps.
    j) Stow any items in the boat so they don't blow out while driving home.
    k) Wipe down the boat.
    l) Head on home.

Excellent post Markcr. Wish everyone could read this and ad-hear to it. We do everything on that checklist surprisingly so we arnt those guys at the ramp LOL.

Like the idea of the bungee cords on the guide poles never thought of that one.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Nice! Thanks for that. Fortunately, out of common sense/courtesy I do pull into the parking area first and load everything, remove straps, etc prior to launch so I'm in and out in just a couple minutes. Drives me crazy when I pull in and as I'm loading my gear and prepping the boat, I see 2 or 3 other rigs pull in and proceed directly to the ramp to do all their pre-launch stuff down there just so they can basically cut line.

mmandley - I like the football idea, I believe I will give that a shot on a weeknight. My last boat was a small I/O, so this is my first DD. I want to be a good driver so I will practice. Besides, whats so bad about going out on a calm, nice evening to just drive around on the lake??? Not so bad, if you ask me!

I agree markcr....nice post!

I'm happy to say that we do all on the list (with exception of the bungee idea - brilliant) and it sure helps out with flow of traffic.

We start to pull down the bimini and stow items in the boat for travel while the driver retreives the trailer. We usually have some time floating away from the ramp to clean up a bit and that lessens the time needed at the retreival parking area. Then we have more time wiping down the boat and avoid spotting. I'm anal about that

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet