Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Economical Prop Puller

I'm sharing this information with anyone who needs to pull their prop and feels that the standard c-clamp prop puller is a bit pricey. I purchased a new OJ prop and Eric suggested the prop puller they sell. Being the el-cheapo that I am, I opted for the $25.00 harmonic puller instead. After doing some online research, it turns out that you strike the harmonic puller with a mallet and after a while the vibrations work the prop loose. Well, after more blows than I felt were acceptable, I decided that my prop was too stuck to continue beating on the end of the drive shaft - something I wasn't comfortable with in the first place. Being a Saturday and knowing that I couldn't find a prop puller locally, I decided to head down to Harbor Freight and see what I could come up with. I found a puller set for $19.99 and after a couple of mods, the puller worked perfectly and my prop was off in 3 minutes. If you are interested, pick up the 3-piece, 3-jaw puller set from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=8832

Take the 4" puller mechanism and attach the 6" jaws to it. It will now fit perfectly between the end of the prop shaft and the rudder. Hook the jaws evenly around the back of the prop and a few twists with an open end wrench and your prop should pop right off. Just as a note, the correct tool for this job is the prop puller that they sell from OJ Props. Had I listened to Eric in the first place, I wouldn't have had to spend so much time on this project today.

proppuller.jpg
    Last edited by markcr; 04-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Gotta love Harbor Freight.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Would that work for an impeller puller?

Hmmmm... Good question, Garn. I think if you hook up the smallest jaws to the smallest puller in the set, it might just make a great impeller puller. I've already done my impeller but next time I pull it, I'll see if it works. No wait. I'm visualizing the way the pump housing is shaped and I'm fairly certain that even the smallest jaws would not fit into the pump housing due to its asymmetrical shape.

You can rent that same device at autozone for free. Just put down a deposit and they will refund you when you bring it back. I have done it a couple of times and it works great.

That puller will only work on a 3-blade.
    Eric Johnson
    Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
    OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Hey Eric! I LOVE that new 4-blade 13x13! What a difference in the wake shape. The 22-off rooster is nearly gone. Great recommendation. As for the prop puller, Doh! I should have listened to you and bought the standard puller. Oh well. Live and learn.

Good to hear the prop worked well. Thanks for choosing our products.
    Eric Johnson
    OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

I have yet to use my puller after eight years but I know that it needs to be done on a regular basis to prevent the prop from seizing on the shaft. Maybe this spring I will take it off. Do you use a lube prior to reattaching the prop?
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

A little grease goes a long way on the prop shaft. Too much and the tapers won't seat correctly.
    Eric Johnson
    OJ PROPS 800-359-9730