Default Help from Florida

You guys that live around Orlando, this question is for you. My family, including my parents, my sister and her family and me and my family 10 total, will be leaving Texas this Friday on a long drive to the Orlando Kissimmee area. We have rented a house in Formosa Gardens, and are going to spend a week hanging out with Mickey and his pals. (My six year old is way excited, and my thirteen year old can't wait for the coasters.) Anyway, my question is: Can one or two of you guys give me a really good resturant or two to visit while we are there. We would prefer a more local spot. In other words something we can't get from a chain here in Texas. Any help in this area or others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Default Replying to Topic 'Help from Florida'

Maybe looking for a good seafood resturant or possibly an oriental place. I won't say that money is no object, but we are not trying to be cheap either. We go on a large family vacation every other year, and we go to have a good time. I wouldn't limit it to the Disney property, anywhere in the area would be fine. If someone had a favorite place because the food is great, I would be interested in almost anything as long as it is cooked. No sushi.

Thanks again

I don't live in Florida but have family in the Orlando area. I agree with Ed that if you want good seafood at a place unlike anywhere in Texas, you should check out Dixie Crossroads in Titusville. It will be well worth the short drive and the wait! You have to try the rock shrimp.

I don't live in Florida either, but I used to go to NASA Kennedy for business 4-5 times a month for 15 years. I absolutely agree on Dixie Crossroads. If you haven't ever had rock shrimp, you will be in for a treat. Most places don't do rock shrimp because the shell is so hard, but Dixie has a machine that takes care of the shell. Rock shrimp, broiled, with butter taste like some of the best lobster tail I ever had. The Challenger disaster almost destroyed the rock shrimp beds, but they fully recovered many years ago.
    Shoe

I appreciate the responses. This is what I was looking for. A place that we would most likely not go unless we had some information like this. We are taking a day on Tuesday or Wednesday to go to the Kennedy space center for some of the tourist stuff. From looking at the map, we will almost be driving right by the Dixie Crossroads. We will give it a try.

Thanks,
    Mike

Guys, thanks again for the responses. We went last Wednesday to NASA to do the tour. We stopped in Titusville and visited Dixie Crossroads. I would say that based on that expierence, I would drive from Orlando to eat there even if I weren't going to NASA. That place is greatness. My family of 4 ate for $75 including tip. IMO that is a great value as well. I ate 5 dozen of the rock shrimp, and had the last dozen seasoned with caribean seasoning. Outstanding, if you like spicy food. For those of you who have never been there, if you are ever in Orlando or there abouts, give the Dixie Crossroads a try. If you like seafood, you will not regret it. Great food and Exceptional service.