Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I just spent a grip of money and time on this system. We will see what I can do this summer about changing the ballast system again. With the new Johnson pumps, I only need three. They are reversible right? How about the hose and fitting? What size can I use. I do have 1" scupper right now and after the Tsunami's, they change to 3/4". Will I need to keep the Vented loops? Can you give me a shopping list so I can put it in my boat budget for the year and I need the ok from the boss.
    Tazz
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!

Jason,

What is your opinion on mating a valve with NPT thread onto an intake with NPS thread? Okay to do? Bad idea? I am thinking that I want to keep the stock intake, just cut the scupper off, because I like the fact that there is only about and inch and a half of thread showing so I can keep the manifold very low. I have a feeling that your combination thread thru hull is going to be a bit tall.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I thought I would update this post. This is what I have decided to do:

- Replace existing 3/4" intake strainer with 1" mushroom type intake
    - Add 1" ball valve then a Tee.
    - Install the stock Rule pump on one side of the Tee and run 1" hose from the rule to the surf side (port) rear bag.
    - Install a second Tee on the other leg of the first Tee.
    - Install two T-800's, one on each remaining leg of the Tee.
    - Reuse the existing 3/4" line from the T-800's, one to the starboard rear bag, one to the nose bag.

This should be a fairly economical upgrade but should result in significantly improved fill times over stock, particularly with the 750# that we use when we surf.

I'm going to try a couple of things to prevent the self-draining and self-filling issues without using the vented loops as the vented loops impede flow significantly. Mandley and I ran some tests the last time we were at the lake. For this test, I disconnect the fill hose at the bag, removed the quick connect elbow, and ran the hose to a 6.5 gallon cooler which was sitting on the swim platform. I then timed how long it took to fill the cooler using the stock 1200 gph Rule pump and here are the results:

- With stock sprinkler valve in place - 65 seconds
    - With vented loop (bypassed sprinkler manifold and sprinkler valve) - 55 seconds
    - With neither - 40 seconds

The problem with the 3/4" vented loop is that the inside diameter is only 7/16" compared to 1/2" for the quick connect fittings. 1/16" doesn't sound like much but look at the pics below.

Last edited by cab13367; 05-05-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I discovered that the $9.95 vented loops I used for this test have a dramatically smaller inside diameter than the ones that sell for around $28.

Please see page 2 of the thread below.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10985&page=2
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    I discovered that the $9.95 vented loops I used for this test have a dramatically smaller inside diameter than the ones that sell for around $28.

Please see page 2 of the thread below.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10985&page=2
    I thought that the size diff was a little fishy...
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Bummer about the loops! Sounds like you've got a good system planned though.