Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ballast System Upgrade Plans

After much research, I think I have a plan for my ballast system upgrade. In summary, I plan to have the stock fill pump feed one sac from a dedicated ¾” intake and two 1200’s sharing a 1” intake with each 1200 feeding one sac. The details are as follows:

1. Get rid of the sprinkler valves and the manifold (that was a given).
    2. Leave existing Rule 2000 gph fill pump and ¾” intake and run 1” hose from the pump to the port side rear sac. Install a 1” check valve in the fill line between the sac and the fill pump to prevent water from draining out of the bag.
    3. Install a new 1” intake, shut off valve, and tee fitting and install two new Tsunami T-1200 pumps, one on either side of the tee. Run 1” fill hose from one 1200 to the ski locker sac and incorporate a 1” vented loop in the fill line. Run 1” fill hose from the other 1200 to the starboard rear sac and incorporate a 1” check valve in the fill line.

I know the issues with the T-1200’s and 1” fittings and have that figured out.

The reason for using check valves in the fill lines to the rear bags and a vented loop in the fill line for the front sac is that I’m told the rear sacs will not fill while underway since they sit up high – the check valve is needed to prevent water from draining out of the bag. This is what I have been told - can anyone confirm that the rear bags will not fill when the boat is moving if I have between the pump and the bag except for the fill hose?

The front locker bag will fill when underway and drain while sitting so a vented loop is required to prevent both.

FYI, I have three sacs – 455# in each rear locker and 400# in the center ski locker. Oh, I guess I have a fourth sac – a 750# that I swap for one of the 455’s when surfing. So the most I would need to fill at one time is 1300#’s.

I already have one T-1200 and I want to reuse the Rule 2000 so I am going this route in order to use the two pumps I already have.

Please let me know your thoughts on this system, good or bad.

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

looks good .....how much impedance will the check valve give vs a vented loop on each bag with no impedance? i guess your doing it to save 80 on 2 loops?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    looks good .....how much impedance will the check valve give vs a vented loop on each bag with no impedance? i guess your doing it to save 80 on 2 loops?
    Doc,

The check valves supposedly have very little resistance, probably about the same as the vented loops since you have to position the loops up high which.

Yes, the check valves are half the price of the vented loops but more importantly, it makes for easier hose routing as you don't have to elevate them above the bags like you do the vented loops.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

sounds good then all bases covered, good work, how lond till trial?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Al im curious as to having both your 1200 on the same intake, are you planning to run a powered switch to both pumps separately?

This way they both run independent?

IM not sure about the whole idea of just a check valve for the rear bags eighter.

My understanding of why we need the Vented Loop is not only to help the bag not drain threw the fill line but to also allow it to not fill while under way. I know in my sprinkler valve they get stuck open a little and my rear bags fill while under way.

I like your idea so fare though. I might have to be your second on this and follow your tracks LOL.

My plan as of right now is to run my T800s as drain pumps to stop the issue with bags not draining because the T800s are a much more efficient pump then the aerators.

As for fill system im on the fence and that's where all your ideas come into play. I cant decide to go with Irritol valves or a pump system. Im leaning towards a pump system because it seems more reliable and honestly with the amount of money i spent on my stereo id look like an idiot to say spending money on my boat is an issue LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Default Rule 2000 is NOT a 2000 gph pump!

Hold the presses, I've got some breaking news! Forgive me if you already know this but the stock fill pump, Rule model 207F, also known as the Rule 2000, is in fact a 1200 gph pump, NOT 2000 gph as the model number would imply. I've seen this on several places now. Below is a spec sheet that I pulled off an online retailer's site (see the first row in the third table and the corresponding pic to the right of it) as well as a link to another retailer that shows the 1200 gph flow rate.

http://www.livebaitlarry.com/index.p...a1hoqskpb08205

Al

2006 Mobius LSV

So back to the drawing board. I have to rethink my system now since running three T-800's off one 1" intake is a much better upgrade to the stock system than I initially thought and is relatively inexpesive as well since I don't have to change out the fill hoses or add additional intakes.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Al im curious as to having both your 1200 on the same intake, are you planning to run a powered switch to both pumps separately?

This way they both run independent?

IM not sure about the whole idea of just a check valve for the rear bags eighter.

My understanding of why we need the Vented Loop is not only to help the bag not drain threw the fill line but to also allow it to not fill while under way. I know in my sprinkler valve they get stuck open a little and my rear bags fill while under way.

I like your idea so fare though. I might have to be your second on this and follow your tracks LOL.

My plan as of right now is to run my T800s as drain pumps to stop the issue with bags not draining because the T800s are a much more efficient pump then the aerators.

As for fill system im on the fence and that's where all your ideas come into play. I cant decide to go with Irritol valves or a pump system. Im leaning towards a pump system because it seems more reliable and honestly with the amount of money i spent on my stereo id look like an idiot to say spending money on my boat is an issue LOL.
    Mike,

Yes, I would take the wiring from the sprinkler valves and connect them to the new pump. So when you hit fill, it turns that pump on.

The reason your rear bags filled while underway is because of the scupper on your intake. You'll have to drill holes on the scupper to ventilate it, cut it off, or replace it with a mushroom type intake. I forgot to mention that in my first post. I'll go fix it now.

As far as the drain pumps, the T-800 is an aerator pump as well. The stock drain pumps on mine are Rule 700gph aerator pumps so you're not going to gain much going to T-800 aerator pumps. I've never had any issues with my drain pumps - sure you just didn't have a kinked hose or something?

I'd definitely go with separate pumps and check valves or vented loops vs replacing the sprinkler valves with Irritrols. I think the only reason to go with Irritrols is if you don't have room for separate pumps which is why Jesse went that route.

Let's get our heads together on this and figure out the best way to go. Let's get Eric (stretch) in the loop as he is at the same stage we are. He and I talked ballast systems last night on the phone until my battery went dead (LOL!).

Al
    Last edited by cab13367; 04-24-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Sorry to jump in, But all I have to do to stop my bags from filling underway is to drill holes in the scoop ! That sounds way too simple lol

Hey Cab--
    I kind of went through the same stuff you did. I had to cut off the end of the scuppers. I wanted to keep the screen side on so that debris wont enter. Now that I have worked all the kinks out of my system, it is perfect. Too bad it has taken SC this long to change the system. If you or anyone has questions, look at my pics, drop me a PM, respond to this post. I will be happy to help anyone out. I will give a list of stuff that I did.

1. Remove the crappy sprinkler valves
    2. Drilled 2 more 1" holes in the hull
    3. Added 3 1" scuppers
    4. Added 3 1200gph Tsunami pumps
    5. Added 3 Vented Loops
    6. Re-Plumbed some of the system
    7. Drank a few beers

Actually, before and after step #2, I had beers. Lots of beers. I used the wires that switched the solenoids to operate the new pumps. I did change the fuse to 5 amp. The connector that operated the one pump is now taped off and not in use.

Before I cut the scoops of the scuppers, I had the same problem. The bags would fill while under way. I was pissed beyond pissed. I think that my thread was call "Ballast Failure"
    Tazz 07' Moomba LSV --Kicker Marine Amps (MX700.5 & MX350.4) 6 polk DB651 speakers, 4 MB Quartz Marine Speakers, 10" Boston Acoustic Sub, Z-5 Cargo Rack, Custom Speaker/Light Bar, modified ballast system, Custom LED Rings
    Live life to the extreme and no less!!