Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    she's not alone.

I know very well conditioned triathletes with loads of experience that get freaked out with the swimming mayhem.

If your clausterphobic, it's all over.

Z, with all that bragging about how hot weather doesn't bother your training, I hope you managed to pull in somewhere around 1:30 - 1:40. That would be a good time for a rookie

Oh, checked some results

your last name Crowder and your actually from Youngstown, Fl?

I had no idea you are 52 years old. Pretty soon you'll be older than me

For an old fart, you didn't do too bad. Congrats!

Man, that 78 year old guy blew your doors off!
    Thanks!
    I was concerned most about the swimming but when I got out there I let everyone go first and did not have any issues other than the jellyfish. I did manage to pass a few folks there but again it was to be a training experience so the goal was to finish.
    According to my Garmin 310XT I wasted about 8 minutes in transition!!! It won't happen next time as I now have an idea of what to do at these events. I should have gone and watched one in the past as we have several in this area but I never did. No one can guess my age but at the event it was written on my left calf for all the world to see.
    That old guy blew the doors off alot of people!
    The top female was 42 years old!
    Last edited by zegm; 09-12-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    Dude that is awsum. My wife used to love those sprint events.

I agree the transitions are the biggest learning curves. Special shoes, one pc no change Tri suits, etc, etc. Women need to learn to pee in the grass as there putting on there shoes and things like that. You can call it gross but a triathalon is zero wasted time and energy. Gel energy paks at the tansition is another lesson learned. Giant bottles of water can cause stomach problems.

My wife used to have problems with the swim, she didn't like all the swimmers bumping into and sometimes running over her, it really freaked her out
    Ask her how to make the legs work after riding the bike. When I jumped off the bike I had to hold on to it like a walker, I couldn't even stand up! And to be honest I hurt my left knee about 3 weeks ago, went to the Doctor and had an MRI and will find out Wednesday if I tore my meniscus again. So I haven't done any riding or running only swimming since then. The doc said if it doesn't hurt then I could do the event but not to practice any. Luckily it didn't bother me during the event, the 1000mg of Tylenol helped!

MrsZ Guest

Those jellyfish zegm was talking about caused a scream fest while the women were swimming. They scared me to death! The screaming women, not the jellyfish. One woman cracked me up totally. She kept screaming and then apologizing. She probably did it at least 5 times. What a silly girl!

Smile

Z and Mrs Z - I had a good laugh reading about your tri experience. Pretty much everything you described, except the jellyfish, I discovered in June at my first tri, so felt like I was reliving it as I read. Yup, the bike doubles as a walker. Yup, transitions took wayyyy toooo long. Yup, lots of bodies in the water at the same time fighting for the same space. Yup, who has time to look at a gps when you are just trying to keep from getting passed. Yup, on the run it comes real natural to want to just find a shady spot, stop, sit down, roll over, and close your eyes. Again, congratulations on DOING IT! It was great to read your post. Thanks! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Deerfield,

It was so nice to read your post to find out that MrsZ and I apparently had a normal rookie First Tri experience!
    Funny thing, yesterday we were online searching for our next Triathlon! Seems like we might be doing another one in a couple of weeks. I think we are addicted now! I was even looking online for Aero bars to put on the bikes!!!!

The jellyfish are a yearly occurance at this tri and the sand destin one. I skipped this year. Didnt want to be swimming in Benzene.
    2013 LSV
    2005 LSV - SOLD

Congrats you guys! Stay at it.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sled491 View Post
    Z your killing me

Canuckle, I have personal friends that were former Canadian National Ski team members. They both have many world cup medals, and one if not both have olympic medals and the one has a well know brother who was also on the National team who also won both world cup and olympic medals
    Cool! My brother was the first guy to beat Palmer in BoarderX at the XGames and Gravity Games. He won the world cup back in 2007 and is a 2 time Olympian. I think he also has the most World Cup medals of any Canadian bordercrosser. Should have won the gold in Torino. He qualified fastest and was the man to beat till a guy from Poland crashed into him and took him out in the first race.

He's starting to feel old (he's 36) and is thinking about retiring. He was dissapointed with his performance last year at the 2010 Olympics (crashed in the quarter finals and placed 10th) so I think he want's to finish this year on a positive note and then call it good.
    2011 President's Trophy - Check
    2011 Western Confernece Champs - Check
    2011 Stanley Cup Champs - Not so Much....

2007 Outback V

Default Pic

This is me and the ol ball and chain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sled491 Guest

Hey Deerfield congrats to you as well,

Z I'll shoot you an email with a link to a product that will help. I currently endorsed by the Canondale Cycle team and several other top pro atheletes.