Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default WOW! Hold off buying those tower setups!

At least until you have a chance to hear this! Kicker is coming out with a new tower setup hopefully by spring. Check this action out, two mid-base drivers and two horns for the tower setup that fits most existing cans! An additional mid can be added to each side for a six-pack! And it looks sweet! Here's a press release shot and some info from Phil White at Kicker!

"First off, we are taking a different approach with regards to mounting. We are not selling these in a can, but rather you have the option / opportunity to source your own can that you like the looks of, or if you have an existing 4-can tower system, you can just undo your old speakers and pop these in. The bolt pattern is the same as a normal coaxial speaker like a Kicker KS650. I do not have pricing settled yet, they are going to be competitive.

Power handling is AT LEAST 150 watts RMS into 4-ohms. We have tested to higher power, and do not have a firm decision about what spec to claim, but they do handle a lot of power. We are introducing a new 2-channel marine amp that is a brother to the ZX450.2 that will deliver 150 watts to each channel for a pair. When you add the accessory mids to get to a 6-can system, you double the power handling to at least 300 watts at 2-ohms, so a ZX550.2 can even be used, or you could use an 850.2 possibly as well.

Wiring them up is super easy, (A typical component set has an external crossover that the speakers have to be connected to; this complicates things). With these new components, the tweeter crossover is attached to the tweeeter. The midrange crossover is connected to the midrange. You connect the speaker directly to the amp with your tower speaker wire with no extra wiring like with a typical external crossover. It is straight parallel wiring. The crossover parts I am talking about are going to be on the back of the drivers, they are not shown in the pic above.

I try not to interject personal opinion as fact, so take this with a grain of salt: All of our ears are different, but to me this is the most musical speaker system I have heard in a while. So much so, that I intend to buy some when we start shipping them so I can build home theater speakers out of them! I want to be careful not to turn this into an advertorial, I know it is frowned upon here and elsewhere, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Phil
    Kicker"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Razzman; 11-30-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

That's cool. I just bought 2 pair of the kicker Coax set-ups for next year used and this would be a good upgrade from there. I like that you can just plug and play in existing cans.

I'm interested to hear them and see what price point they come out at.

Appreciate the heads up Razzman

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Im wondering if this is the same speaker from the KMT6 pods just removed? Maybe a different case on them to look purdy, and the horn tweeter has a easier to manage housing to mount it with?
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Im wondering if this is the same speaker from the KMT6 pods just removed? Maybe a different case on them to look purdy, and the horn tweeter has a easier to manage housing to mount it with?
    Honestly can't say but I'll ask Phil that question amongst others.
    2007 Mobius LSV

nice to see other companies taking an interest in the hlcd boat speaker market.

couple of observations...
    as they are setup, you need 4 cans as a minimum. not everyone has 4, nor needs 4 and seems that they might be setting the system up to recommend 6 cans. could limit the market.
    touting the crossover wiring being easy to install really isn't a selling feature. anyone that doesn't want to mess with wiring outboard crossovers is going to pay to install, anyone doing the install themselves or a shop install isn't going to see any significant time savings in having them pre-mounted. a convenience, yes, but should not be the driving force in buying speakers.
    gives the end-user the option of only running 2 hlcd drivers and 4 midbass drivers similar to the big wetsounds system. could have better low-mid response using smaller drivers(again, needs 6 cans though).

overall, looks to be a solid competitor in the hlcd market, and am guessing it'll be a quality product coming from kicker. the clear winner here will be the consumer, depending on pricing, and I hope they keep in mind the costs of cans when setting pricing.

interesting statement on using them in home speakers. maybe klipsch should get into the boat speaker market
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Good observations sandm. I know out west the "more is better" theory is king, i only know one person that runs two cans. It seems that as soon as they install two they immediately want two more. To me this seems like it will eliminate a lot of confusion for the DIYer when installing as well. For those with the factory Roswell can/light bars that like the look and want to keep them, this is a nice option as well.
    2007 Mobius LSV

agree. I would have shopped them with my roswell setup, but the hollowpoints fit too with some cutting..
    not sure on the diy'er confusion, as most that take on projects like this have some knowledge of what they are doing, or have a board that helps them out like this one but I see your point.
    my cousin only has 2 liquid audio speakers on his tige and they sound good, but he does want 2 more. not sure why other than every other boat you see on the lake has 4 or 6, but as you stated.. more is king..

I am betting the entire success of this speaker will boil down to price, plain and simple, or if they are planning on tapping into the "factory" market as a new installed option.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    For those with the factory Roswell can/light bars that like the look and want to keep them, this is a nice option as well.
    That's me!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

So here's Phil's answer to a couple more questions i asked...

"TOTALLY NEW TECHNOLOGY!!!!

The new KM6500.2 components are bad-***... 2 totally brand new hi-efficiency rare-earth neodymium-motor midranges combined with two 1.7" compression driven horns. All brand-new, developed to do a specific thing, at a specific price, with a performance equal to or greater than what is currently out there in the price range.

To make an analogy the KMT6 is sort of the affordable Ford Fusion, while the KM6500.2 is the Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500KR. I believe we are publishing the power handling conservatively at 200 watts RMS for the basic setup, and when you add the extra optional KM6500 midranges to get to 6 cans system the power handling bumps to 300 watts RMS per side."

So that's what i know. As of now there's no price info until spring probably.
    2007 Mobius LSV

it will be interesting to see them, but to call all this brand new technology is a stretch(salesman talking ). neodymium has been around for years in car audio, and compression drivers are not new(remember waveguides in the mid 80's) and not new to kicker either. my first system back in 1985 consisted of 2 kicker truck boxes that were loaded with an 8" sub, 10" passive radiator and a compression horn on the top. awesome boxes that rocked with almost no power..

kinda figured that it would end up looking like a 6-can system. again, price will be the big factor. if the put any of the same development that they have into the L5/7 subs and their amp lineup, they will have a good setup on their hands...