Default Tantrum Crashes....how bad

How hard are the spills when you are first learning a tantrum? I can do all the trampoline stuff but we are headed out today after work and I want to try them behind the boat. So....how bad are the crashes?

Slow the boat down to about 16-17, cut hard you have to commit,at lower speed you will get feel of being launched. Another great way to learn is to do your first couple at 16 ussing wakeskate to do tantrum landing on feet in water.

Its a pretty big commitment trick. I have wrecked harder not going all out on it because you do not get the rotation. The biggest thing is wait till the very peak of the wake for the trip otherwise you will not get the pop needed.

That being said I snapped my ankle one year doing one a couple years ago because I had a foot come out of the binding.

Jim,
    When say cut hard , is it edge hard or all speed? Or both.? I've also heard when trying them at 16 mph, to do the entire trick with one hand. In order to get correct trip from the wake.

When I was first learning the tantrum the falls really were not bad and I have never been seriously injured from a tantrum since. But there are times when you just barley under rotate and the board lands on the water and the best I can explain it is the impact crushes your ankles but if that happens I just take a break and its fine in a few mins.

LSV 04 I would say us proper technique and keep both hands on until you reach the wake so you keep good line tension. Take a wider approach and a more aggressive cut into the wake by setting your initial edge harder than you would a normal wake jump and just as you approach the wake let go of your rear hand turn your hips parallel with the wake and lock your legs out as you pop off the lip.
    2005 Mobius LSV

I would definitely try it out a few times on a wakeskate first. I tore my ACL casing the wake the first day I attempted/landed the tantrum. Like the others say, you have to commit to this invert!

I finally attempted the first couple of tantrums. For those that have never tried an invert before, it is a strange feeling being pulled behind a boat flying through the air! The tantrum crashes werent that bad. The first 3-4 were almost back dives into the water. The last one i attempted i got nearly all the way around and basically belly flopped (racked the twig and berries at the same time). I called it a day after that....

Quote Originally Posted by polar21 View Post
    I finally attempted the first couple of tantrums. For those that have never tried an invert before, it is a strange feeling being pulled behind a boat flying through the air! The tantrum crashes werent that bad. The first 3-4 were almost back dives into the water. The last one i attempted i got nearly all the way around and basically belly flopped (racked the twig and berries at the same time). I called it a day after that....
    you'll get there. practice them at really low speeds. go out into the flats and practice the rotation without hitting a wake. then try to take them single wake and then work on wake to wake. just keep the speeds lower til you get it and remember it's a trip trick so you'll have to change your edge at the last second.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)