Default shaft packing on a 99 Outback

I wondered if I would be able to do it myself, and after reading this thread from cab13367 https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10841 I went on and gave it a shot. Its a good thing I did look what I found.

I picked up a 1 7/8" wench, a 2" wrench, and some dental picks (THANKS CAB!!) at Northern tools for 43.00 and was well worth it. I had to hit the 1 7/8" with the grinder so it would fit between the nut and flange.

I dug out 2 pieces, packed 3 pieces back in, and tightened it down in about 30 mins and that was taking my time. I was very simple, hardest part was taking up the floor. When tightening in back I followed Brian Raymond's instructions that were posted by JesseC (THANKS!!) I havent tried it out yet cause it started to get dark, but it looks good

bad,

Glad my post inspired u to tackle this job. Looks like u don't have the access issues with the direct drive that we do with the v drives. Be sure to bring your tools with u the first time out on the water. I can almost guarantee u will need to further tighten the packing nut.

The dental pick set can also be found at Harbor Freight.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    bad,

Glad my post inspired u to tackle this job. Looks like u don't have the access issues with the direct drive that we do with the v drives. Be sure to bring your tools with u the first time out on the water. I can almost guarantee u will need to further tighten the packing nut.

The dental pick set can also be found at Harbor Freight.

Al
    Ya it was pretty simple being able to sit right on top of it and fix it. I am going to try to put her in the water Sat. if the weather holds up.

Quote Originally Posted by newty View Post
    Man you are going over everything in that boat!
    Looking good!
    Thanks, I told you I was going to. I have been doing this stuff while I have been waiting on the box to dry.

Replaced my shaft packing at the beginning of last season. Took 3 pieces as well. I had to adjust it about 3 times last summer. After I get her out of storage in 2 weeks it is going to need a minor adjustment again. Seems after so many hours it starts to drip more and more....
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

I took it out for a little bit to check it out before it got dark. The packing was not leaking at all, I ran it a little still no drip. I took the packing nut completly off and still no drip. So I put it back on hand tight and locked it down.

The only problems I had was there was a little water in the hull that came from somewhere and I cant find it to save my life. I checked all of the drain plugs and they were dry. I looked till it was dark and still couldnt find anything. There was maybe 1 to 2 gallons in there if I had to guess and was in the water for about 1 hour.

Next it will not idle very well. Starts right up and if you stay on the gas a little it will run fine. As soon as you put it in N it will slowly die.

Any ideas on where to start with these 2 things ???????

Quote Originally Posted by badasshybrid View Post
    I took it out for a little bit to check it out before it got dark. The packing was not leaking at all, I ran it a little still no drip. I took the packing nut completly off and still no drip. So I put it back on hand tight and locked it down.

The only problems I had was there was a little water in the hull that came from somewhere and I cant find it to save my life. I checked all of the drain plugs and they were dry. I looked till it was dark and still couldnt find anything. There was maybe 1 to 2 gallons in there if I had to guess and was in the water for about 1 hour.

Next it will not idle very well. Starts right up and if you stay on the gas a little it will run fine. As soon as you put it in N it will slowly die.

Any ideas on where to start with these 2 things ???????

When I first packed mine and took the boat out it didn't drip for a while and I only had it hand tight. It seems as if it has to "break in" a bit before it will start to drip and then mine started to drip alot and I had to tighten the nut up a bit...

As far as the idle goes it sounds like you just need to speed it up a little bit. There is an idle speed screw on the passenger (port) side of the carb right near the throttle linkage. Turn that screw clockwise just a bit and it should speed up the idle.
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL