Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What skis should I try out this spring?

I am planning on buying a ski this spring, which means I'll demo-ing to see what feels best. Any suggestions?

Here is some info on me:
    Height: 5' 7"
    Weight: ~130 pounds

I free ski, and hit the course. Right now (on the older than me 65" EP) I ride around 31mph; slowly working my way up in speed.

I want a ski that I can grow into, but not something that is going to kick my butt (I rode a friends Connelly hard core something or another, and I felt super unstable; always wanting to be on edge.)

To be honest, I love the way the EP feels, if I could find something similar to that, but obviously with new ski technology that would be awesome.

So, where should I start?
    2013 Outback V

I don't know what to tell you now, but when I was your height and weight in about 1983 I loved the EP!!!!!!!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

As for your height and weight you need to find the appropriate size/length first. Then you can and should look at some of the brands recommendations as to what they are meant for. Easy riding ,open water,or hard core ,course skiing. Of course some will be listed as being very capable of doing more than one thing. Speed is also a factor and probably 32 /34 are more reasonable speeds to expect,36 is for the pros .
    Some hard core skiis are not very forgiving in less than ideal conditions so keep that in mind as well. Ie choppy water etc. Then there is usually tamer/slightly heavier versions of most high end skis that will handle these conditions well and still ski well beyond most peoples needs.
    As for skiis skiing on edge ,you will probably find most hard core skis behaving that way as its the way they are designed to run yey some skis are very nice and stable as well till you want them to behave differently.
    I would suggest researching skis on the net ,going to a ski shop and see and talk to hopefully a competent sales person,to help you decide. If at all possible ,demo as many skis as possible.
    Suggestion also is don't undersell yourself on a ski ,too much in the fact that if and when you start skiing better,which should happen ,now you don't want your ski holding you back . Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    If you know what you want there are always lots of deals on skis online. Good luck.

Most of the mid level skis on the market right now are a full edge to edge concave, that's going to give you some of the "always wants to be on edge" feel. On the flip side this can also allow you to hold more angle across the wakes which is going to help you out in the course. New bindings are going to be stiffer than your EP's (unless you've upgraded). Stiffer bindings will transfer more energy faster, this can also lead to a feeling of unsteadiness at first but after a couple days use you'll be able to use this to your advantage.

I'd recommend taking a look at the H.O. Sports CDX, its an older shape with a lighter flex pattern than the original which makes it a little more forgiving than the original. There are several boot options but the dual Animal boots is how I'd set mine up, you can get a rear toe plate instead of the rear boot if you prefer.

The other ski I'd check out is the Connelly Concept. Again this is an older shape but in a lighter flex pattern than the original. I've set up a ton of people with similar level and goals to you on this ski. I'm not to up on the new Connelly boots, but usually this ski comes packaged with an appropriate level boot.

That's my two cents. Enjoy the demos!

MrsZ Guest

Ian,

I am about your size and I LOVE my EP Stiletto too. I have used EPs since I was in college. We wont say how long ago that was. I just got an HO Couture for Christmas. You would probably not like the color scheme of that. It is kind of girly. But try the HO Nitro, if you can. It is supposed to the boy version. I tried a Nitro and it was the first non EP that I really liked.

Oh. I also recommend a boot for the rear foot too. It really really makes a difference!
    Last edited by MrsZ; 04-19-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Your ski length will be based on your height/weight and you will be on a 65-66" ski. I ski on a HO Nitro/NOS. It is a "34 mph" ski in design, I love it and highly recommend it. They can be found pretty cheap also. I would also try an O'Brien SS and a Connelly F1X.

Good luck.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Try out a 65" Radar Senate (not the Senate C). It's a very popular intermediate slalom ski that can provide all the forgiveness you need but also can get you into 34 mph short line when you're ready for it. I've also heard good things about the HO Triumph.

Quote Originally Posted by markcr View Post
    Try out a 65" Radar Senate (not the Senate C). It's a very popular intermediate slalom ski that can provide all the forgiveness you need but also can get you into 34 mph short line when you're ready for it. I've also heard good things about the HO Triumph.
    I've been looking at the Senate for sure (I have the catalog sitting next to me right now, lol) and the HO Nitro too.

I am definately going with a double boot, I hate the toe plate on the EP, I feel loose. Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!
    2013 Outback V

Yeah, I have a Senate on order right now - just waiting for it to ship. I bought it from waterskis.com but it was on back order. I don't have a local ski dealer so I have to buy all my stuff online. I talked to the ski rep at waterskis.com and he said it's by far their most popular intermediate ski they sell and he said they almost never see them come back in to be traded for something else. I found out about it by asking around at a few slalom ski schools. Each of the responses recommended the Radar Senate. I have an old HO VTC that I've skied on for years but thought it was time for an upgrade. I'm sure I'll still stack just as often but at least I won't be able to blame it on my equipment. Oh, what am I saying. Of course I will. Darn new ski...

Default Radar

I 2nd radar skis I have a Radar Annex and love it. That is the ski I used when I skied with you last summer. Only ski that I have used that I have not had to adjust to it. It adjusted to me. You can find some great deels on line on last years models