Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Tunes?

Compared to the stereo work, the ballast stuff is EASY to reach. Enjoy!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Great work Mike, looks awsome. Like Kane said the ballast stuff is easy compared to the audio. I actually enjoyed doing my ballast upgrade. The audio part was a pain in the ars and I couldnt wait to be done with it.
    06 Outback V

mmandley - What was the hardest part? What, if you had it to do over, would you do differently? At the other extreme, what was easy and what worked out better than you had expected? Thanks. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Mike, rock that this summer with pride-looks amazing
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    mmandley - What was the hardest part? What, if you had it to do over, would you do differently? At the other extreme, what was easy and what worked out better than you had expected? Thanks. - Deerfield
    The hardest part honestly was mounting the amp racks. Knowing a mistake would put a screw threw the hull.

What i did to be safe was there is a ledge or rail on the bottom at the floor like everyone said there was. This was the easy part of the amp rack. For the top i peeled the carpet back to see where the rub rail is attached. Some boats ive been in now have a black square rail here to screw into. Mine doesn't, its just fiberglass and you see screw tips sticking threw it. I mounted some plastic plates here to screw the top of the amp boards in. This way i had a large surface to hit with the amp board.

If i had to do this hole install over again i buy dry cell or AGM batteries and mount them under my rear seat on the little lip right in-front of the V drive compartments. Run my battery cables along the floor up to the distro blocks to make more room up there. < do you see an upgrade for next winter? > lol

Easiest part was the sub system. All i did was tell Brian and Brett < Sub Zero > my expectations, limitations, and don't dos.

Better then expected was the overall sound. I never dreamed a boat could so like this does. I sat there floating on the lake yesterday listening to the music drinking a beer and just keep be amazed how it sounded. The highs are just right at any volume, the bass is deep and tight and hits with authority but doesn't over power or sound boomy. The tower even sounds great in the boat. Had it cranked way up on the last pass on the lake and i the boat it sounded like another set of speakers. Your ears weren't bleeding and it wasn't over powering the Polks at all.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, I was outside working in the yard and there was an east breeze in the air. I think I heard you

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    The hardest part honestly was mounting the amp racks. Knowing a mistake would put a screw threw the hull.

What i did to be safe was there is a ledge or rail on the bottom at the floor like everyone said there was. This was the easy part of the amp rack. For the top i peeled the carpet back to see where the rub rail is attached. Some boats ive been in now have a black square rail here to screw into. Mine doesn't, its just fiberglass and you see screw tips sticking threw it. I mounted some plastic plates here to screw the top of the amp boards in. This way i had a large surface to hit with the amp board.

If i had to do this hole install over again i buy dry cell or AGM batteries and mount them under my rear seat on the little lip right in-front of the V drive compartments. Run my battery cables along the floor up to the distro blocks to make more room up there. < do you see an upgrade for next winter? > lol

Easiest part was the sub system. All i did was tell Brian and Brett < Sub Zero > my expectations, limitations, and don't dos.

Better then expected was the overall sound. I never dreamed a boat could so like this does. I sat there floating on the lake yesterday listening to the music drinking a beer and just keep be amazed how it sounded. The highs are just right at any volume, the bass is deep and tight and hits with authority but doesn't over power or sound boomy. The tower even sounds great in the boat. Had it cranked way up on the last pass on the lake and i the boat it sounded like another set of speakers. Your ears weren't bleeding and it wasn't over powering the Polks at all.

mmandley - I appreciate the insights. Yup. I can see your point on the overall sound in your boat turning out better than even you expected. But, clearly you put a lot of time and effort into the project. So, not surprised. I admire guys like you on this forum that take on a project. Thanks and enjoy those tunes! - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Mike,

Your system is just insane. Can't wait to see the video that Brian shot of it in action.

And thanks for the gratuitous pic of my boat!

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Got a little video today of the system in play.

This is more then 500 ft away. No editing was done to the sound. I set up the camera on a Tri-Pod and drove the truck till i had mo more room.

Last edited by mmandley; 04-20-2010 at 08:10 PM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

that is awesome