Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I finally decided to build a custom sub box...

for under the dash...

I don't know if I've ever posted this on here, but several years ago I used to compete in dB Drag Racing on a national level. I've owned and ran the curcuit with a bunch of different cars, and built even more. The most extreme incarnation was a 1985 Dodge Mini-Ram Van (basically a panel minivan) with a wall for 2 18" Shocker Audio subwoofers, 8 Ample Audio amps, a huge bank of bateries, and enough IXOS 1/0 power cable to go to the moon and back. That being said, I haven't used my cabinet making skills in like 6 or 8 years; the closest I've gotten was the super basic install in the boat, which I am now re-doing. I've kept all the tools, and have a decent amount of stuff laying around, which always comes in handy.

So here is what I started with;

Nothing really wrong with it, just a basic pre-fabbed Kicker L7 10" box. The biggest issue is it didn't match, and just looked like I threw it in there, which is exactly what I did, haha.

My work area; the drive way:

Always start with a plan!

Inside of the enclosure, starting to come togather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 Outback V

More pictures;

This shows how I did the front panel; to keep with the (approximate) correct airspace, I made the front panel a single piece, with the smaller enclosure attached behind. This also saved a ton of time with building a weird shaped box.

Hole cut for the speaker. It looks like its lop sided, going to have to check on that and make sure its not, lol.

A few test fit pictures:

Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 Outback V

So next up I've just got to give it a few good coats of fiberglass resin and then cover it with some carpet or vinyl; probably vinyl so it mathes the other speaker mounts I made.

This whole thing started because I pulled both boxes (I have another 10" L7 behind the spotters seat) to glass. The one from the spotter seat compartment was absolutely trashed (water damage). The drivers side box was not damaged at all, so I am going to use that one on the observer side, and this new box under the dash.
    2013 Outback V

I just noticed I put this in Modifications, instead of Audio. If a mod could move that would be great!
    2013 Outback V

Looks pretty sweet man.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Ian,

looking good but why not extend the false front all the way to the left for a cleaner look? I know you have your fire extinguisher there but u can mount it on the false front. Just a thought.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I thought about it, but I think I'm going to make a trim panel that covers the extinguisher and throwable. The main reason was that I still wanted easy access to the factory fuse panel.
    2013 Outback V

looks nice mang.

I'm going out on a limb here, but are you using that vinyl fencepost as an edge
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    looks nice mang.

I'm going out on a limb here, but are you using that vinyl fencepost as an edge
    HAHAHA! Yep, I did! My straight edge was in the basement at least 200 yards away, and I had just replaced a section of fence earlier in the day and still had that post handy! Lazyness is the key to inovation!
    Last edited by ian ashton; 04-12-2010 at 10:08 AM.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    I thought about it, but I think I'm going to make a trim panel that covers the extinguisher and throwable. The main reason was that I still wanted easy access to the factory fuse panel.
    Gotcha, I hadn't thought of that. I will do something like this someday as well.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV