Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is a boat considered as an RV?

The new neiborhood I will be moving into has a policy that states that residents cannot store Commercial or RV vehicals on their driveways. Would the term "RV" include watercraft? I googled the term RV and everything that I get says an RV would include trailers, motorhomes, campers, ect. I could'nt see anything that classifies a boat as an RV. The neiborhood has failry tight architectural restrictions. Should it be OK to park my boat in the driveway during the summer?
    Last edited by bjames; 04-19-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    2009 Moomba Mobius LSV Liquid Force. Indmar 340HP CAT

As much as I like your boat, it wouldn't make the cut in my neighborhood. I ran our Homeowner's Association and the problem always is that for every '09 LSV that looks great & you allow, there is a piece of junk that you're then forced to allow.

Technically no, but then i've found that HOAs (Home Owners Association) have a pretty broad definition of what is and isn't. I would check with them or the city ordinance.
    2007 Mobius LSV

But I am confused on the terminology used in the restrictions. If they don not allow boats, I am thinking they should write it as "no commercial, RV and watercraft allowed"

The funny thing is that the development is called "Summerside Lake Community" but its a man made lake built for sail boats and paddle boats.

you can ask anyone you want, but until you approach the homeowners association, you are not going to get the right answer. what is written may not be what is heavily enforced and every association is going to be different. I think that it would not be too much of a stretch for an association to call a boat a "recreational vehicle".
    every subdivision I have lived in the past 10 years have had tight regulations and no rv's, watercrafts, nor utility trailers can be in the driveway or road overnight, however most have not had an issue on the weekends as long as they are gone monday am and don't reappear until friday night. did live in one that sent notices the next day on ANY violation. ran by a bunch of retired sr citizens that had nothing better to do..

as a boat owner, I totally agree with wolfman on this one. I love my boat and keep it shiney and pretty, but I don't want to look at some guys broken down 1960's tri-hull "project" that becomes a tumbleweed collector. associations are designed to help protect your quality of life. sometimes it gets in the way, but look at the good it's doing..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Here is what the Architectural Guidelines state:

"Recreational vehicles and commercial vehicles in excess of 3/4 ton capacity shall not be stored in the front yard or driveway of any property between the building line and the curb, and if otherwise stored on the property, shall be screened to minimize the visibility of such vehicles from abutting street, public space and adjacent homes"

See any loop holes? Seems that if the vehicle is screned to 'minimize' visibility then its ok... looks like a loop hole to me as the term screening & minimize could be subject to interpretation.

I would have to say Yes our boats are RV.

RV by definition is Recreation Vehicle. It fits that bill. Also when you finance a boat its not a 5 year auto loan, its a 8-30 year RV type loan.

For me when we bought our home and looked for homes we specifically didn't want a HOA.

This is a good example why.

Now Razz has a great argument of just because your boat is sexy it shouldnt be allowed, its because of all the eye sore boats that then have to be allowed. My street is the same way. 10 homes on the street, 5 boats on the same street and mine it worth more then the other 4 combined. The other 4 dont even see water
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Here is the definition of Recreational Vehical take directly from the City of Edmonton Bylaw website for parking/storing of RV vehicles:

"Definition of Recreational Vehicle
    Any vehicle that is equipped for sleeping is considered a recreational vehicle. Large recreational vehicles include any motor home, travel trailer, fifth wheel trailer, camper not mounted on a truck, or any other vehicle or object, which the development officer deems to be a large recreational vehicle.
    This does not include boats, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, jet skis or motorcycles (or trailers to carry them). It also does not include small utility trailers, camper van conversions, tent trailers or campers mounted in trucks. "

Well here's my take, and as said until you talk to them it does no good to guess. And as they are the governing authority on this matter their word is gospel unless they specically state boats are ok. If not then you would have to argue your claims in court and that could take a very long time as it's a trivial matter.

And this is just one of reasons why I never have nor never will purchase a home in an HOA controlled neighborhood. I have a few friends in HOAs and the extent they have to go to just to change landscaping or add a shed is utterly ridiculous. No cars in driveways, must use garage. No bicycles out front, geez ... fricken yard nazi's!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Before you buy, I would check with the homeowners association as they have the final say. Usually RVs and boats are listed seperately but since it is a boating community they may have excluded them intentionally.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD