Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Walb, you need to take the boat out on the water and tighten the packing nut to reduce the water flow. If you tighten the nut until it goes no further and it still is leaking too much then you need a replacement cord. No matter how much you are in the water the seals (packing cord) won't change and only tightening the nut to compress the cord more against the shaft will the leaking then stop.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by walb0244 View Post
    I noticed that you refered to another post in this thread. What is the other post you are refering to with instructions? Also, you said a drip ever 30 seconds roughly while in gear idling. Does it drip less once up and running? Mine has a pretty good leak somewhere letting water in the boat. I can tell it is coming from somewhere near the vdrive but can't really get to it to see. We just got the boat and the dealer said that the seals around the shaft probably just need to get wet. But I'm not thinking that is the case. I think I need to tighten this. I'm guessing I need to be on the water to tighten it correct?
    The other post is the third sticky from the bottom in this section. It's by jesseC.

Yes, you'll want to be on the water to tighten it, then have someone put it in gear while you watch for the drips, have them shut it off, adjust it some more, put in gear again, etc. until you are satisfied with the drip rate.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I appreciate the help guys. This is our first inboard so we are way behind the learning curve on this so far.

I went to check mine then remembered ... Whoops I have the dripless system, my bad! I soooo wanted to climb into a small, toght, sharp space and skin myself do death!

Nice write up Al
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I went to check mine then remembered ... Whoops I have the dripless system, my bad! I soooo wanted to climb into a small, toght, sharp space and skin myself do death!

Nice write up Al
    Thanks for rubbing it in, razz
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Thanks for rubbing it in, razz
    Hey a little birdie told me today that you bought pizza! What a guy!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Hey a little birdie told me today that you bought pizza! What a guy!
    LOL! Word travels fast!
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Default Thanks

Hey guys,
    We took our boat out to the lake yesterday to do some work since I had read this forum and knew what to do now. I was able to tighten the nut up to where now I have a drip maybe every 20 seconds. Since it was mother's day I gave up on it. I know it needs to be alittle tighter. Will get to that another day. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. I did have a fountain coming through the seal, now I'm down to just having a few drips. Thanks again guys.

That's what happens. You're on your way to becoming a Moomba Boards addict now.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Guys,

Thanks for all the great info. Anyone can tell what is the tool I need to tight the nut? I plan to be on the lake thid week end and I want to adjust it...

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by walb0244 View Post
    Hey guys,
    We took our boat out to the lake yesterday to do some work since I had read this forum and knew what to do now. I was able to tighten the nut up to where now I have a drip maybe every 20 seconds. Since it was mother's day I gave up on it. I know it needs to be alittle tighter. Will get to that another day. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help. I did have a fountain coming through the seal, now I'm down to just having a few drips. Thanks again guys.