Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shaft Packing Replacement on 2006 LSV

I replaced the shaft packing on my 2006 LSV last week because at the end of last season, I had the packing nut bottomed out and water was coming out of the shaft seal at a steady stream. I bought TefpackŪ Synthetic Packing, "a strong durable synthetic fiber saturated with teflon" from go2marine.com for $6 for the 2' x 3/16" size.

First I removed the trim panels (two) on the front of the starboard rear locker as this seemed to be the best access. I also removed the ballast intake strainer cup and the large cooling water hose that goes from the v-drive to the impeller. This gave me a little room to work. See pics below.

Next I used an adjustable sink wrench and a pair of channel locks to separate the locking nut from the packing nut, then backed the packing nut all the way out and slid it up the shaft as far as it would go. Then I used a dentist's pick to remove the existing packing. It worked great, I dug 5 pieces of packing out in less than 5 minutes.

I initially followed Brian Raymond's instructions as posted by JesseC (thanks!) but found that the recommended length of 4-1/8" is too short. The pieces I removed were all 4-1/4' so I cut the first piece that length and tested it and it seemed to be the right length. Also, on the advise of my local dealer's mechanic, I cut both ends at a 45 degree angle instead of a straight 90.

I put in three pieces of packing and tigthened and packed the packing per Brian Raymond's instructions but when I tested it on the water, I found that it was leaking a pretty steady stream. Good thing I brought the necessary tools with me so I tightened the packing nut about another couple of turns until the dripping slowed to about once per 30 seconds with the engine in gear at idle speed. I called it good at that point.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Excellent post. With a synthetic you don't need to have the system drip unlike a wax cord. I put in a graphite cord six years ago and I tightened where there is no drips and hasn't needed an adjustment since. Excellent choice in cords and it should be the last cord you will ever need.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Great post Al. how hard do you think it would have been to loosen the 4 drive shaft bolts and slipped a feeler gauge between the coupler?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Excellent post. With a synthetic you don't need to have the system drip unlike a wax cord. I put in a graphite cord six years ago and I tightened where there is no drips and hasn't needed an adjustment since. Excellent choice in cords and it should be the last cord you will ever need.
    The service tech at the dealer told me that even with synthetic packing, I should allow it to drip a little to keep it lubrcated. But glad to know you have made it 6 years with no drips an no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    Great post Al. how hard do you think it would have been to loosen the 4 drive shaft bolts and slipped a feeler gauge between the coupler?
    I think it would have been doable. I basically sat with my legs crossed and could access the area with both hands. It's tight though. But why would you loosen the drive shaft bolts? Don't you just slip the feeler gauge in between the bolts? I still have to check my shaft alignment one of these days.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

you loosen these bolts to separate the prop shaft coupler then pull it back tight by hand and measure the top bottom and both sides to determine if you need to adjust the motor alignment,
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 04-20-2010 at 07:43 AM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

You put 5 pieces in your 06 LSV? I have the Goretex GFO packing and most i can fit is 2 rings. Tried 3 but after many hours and vulgarities, i stuck with 2. 3 wouldn't get enough threads to lock on.

SC_LSV
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Black/Grey
    Board - 08 Ronix Covin / 08 Ronix Cells
    Surf - CWB Tsunami
    Audio - 6 - JL M650-CCX 6.5" in boat
    2 - JL M770-ETX 7.7" on Tower
    2 - JL 10" W1 Subs
    JL M6600W & JL M1700W Amps

Quote Originally Posted by SC_LSV View Post
    You put 5 pieces in your 06 LSV? I have the Goretex GFO packing and most i can fit is 2 rings. Tried 3 but after many hours and vulgarities, i stuck with 2. 3 wouldn't get enough threads to lock on.

SC_LSV
    No, just three and it wasn't easy getting the third one stuffed in there far enough so that the packing nut would catch the threads but I eventually got it to go.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Dug the packing out to replace this weekend, turns out there were 3 in it, for some reason I was thinking only 2. Guess that 3rd was actually the 4th.

Put in the GFO and had tighten the nut lil too tight at first. Loosened to a drip every 10 seconds or so and works just fine.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV Black/Grey
    Board - 08 Ronix Covin / 08 Ronix Cells
    Surf - CWB Tsunami
    Audio - 6 - JL M650-CCX 6.5" in boat
    2 - JL M770-ETX 7.7" on Tower
    2 - JL 10" W1 Subs
    JL M6600W & JL M1700W Amps

Quote Originally Posted by SC_LSV View Post

SC_LSV
    I used the same stuff on mine this weekend. Pulled out 2 pieces and could only fit 2 back in. Tried to get a third but just too tight.
    06 Outback V

I noticed that you refered to another post in this thread. What is the other post you are refering to with instructions? Also, you said a drip ever 30 seconds roughly while in gear idling. Does it drip less once up and running? Mine has a pretty good leak somewhere letting water in the boat. I can tell it is coming from somewhere near the vdrive but can't really get to it to see. We just got the boat and the dealer said that the seals around the shaft probably just need to get wet. But I'm not thinking that is the case. I think I need to tighten this. I'm guessing I need to be on the water to tighten it correct?