Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    NO, tightning anything should not adjust the alignment. Tightening just holds everything where it is supposed to be. If when you rotate your shaft the gap remains constant in the same place then as Al stated your shaft is not bent. But .017 is a huge misalignment. The goal is to not have more than a .002 gap anywhere around the coupler not .002 around the entire coupler, although if this were the case then if you pulled them a little closer that .002 would drop to 0 which is what is perfect. You have to prybar and tap the trunnion to free the engine mount on its mount. Once you get it free it usu moves easier.
    i used a crow back and a mini sledge and pryed and beat ever direction and it would not move. ill get the pros to do it this winter, im sure mine is not the worst since i am pretty positive 90% of the boating community does not even know this should be done.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    and i thought if you tightened the couplers up it pull the two together. have a gab after tightening the bolts makes no sense to me
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeg333 View Post
    I guess I'm confused on that as well. If we torque the 4 coupling bolts to spec, that should pull the two coupling faces together to have no gap. At least, that's what I would think?
    Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    I agree... I'd expect a gap of 0 when the bolts are tightened down, regardless of shaft alignment.
    Guys,

If the gap is uneven and it's closing to zero when the bolts are tightened, then that means the shaft is bending or the couplers are deforming. The specified torque on the bolts is only 30 ft-lbs and if you tighten the 4 little bolts to that spec, it's not going to be enough force to bend the shaft or the couplers and close the gap to zero. Make sense?

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    Guys,

If the gap is uneven and it's closing to zero when the bolts are tightened, then that means the shaft is bending or the couplers are deforming. The specified torque on the bolts is only 30 ft-lbs and if you tighten the 4 little bolts to that spec, it's not going to be enough force to bend the shaft or the couplers and close the gap to zero. Make sense?

Al
    We're talking thousandths of an inch so I would expect that to transfer to the prop shaft and couplers. It would be an easy test though... rdlangston do you still have a .017 gap when you tighten up your couplers to spec?

We're talking thousandths of an inch so I would expect that to transfer to the prop shaft and couplers. It would be an easy test though... rdlangston do you still have a .017 gap when you tighten up your couplers to spec?
    not sure. and mine is not torqued exactly to 30 ftlbs, i dont see how yall get a torque wrench on there. i had hell with two box wrench. i didnt really crank on it and the rachet i used was only 1 foot or so long and i dont think i put more than 30 lbs of force on it.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Well, I know mine are torqued to 30 and there is a gap all around between the couplers from about .003" to .007" if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    not sure. and mine is not torqued exactly to 30 ftlbs, i dont see how yall get a torque wrench on there. i had hell with two box wrench. i didnt really crank on it and the rachet i used was only 1 foot or so long and i dont think i put more than 30 lbs of force on it.
    yeah, it's a little tricky but it can be done. You have to rotate the coupler to get the bolts in just the right place.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Well, I know mine are torqued to 30 and there is a gap all around between the couplers from about .003" to .007" if I remember correctly.
    Well that's just weird. OK, so if the gap doesn't change why bother taking the bolts out to check the gap?

This does not seem right.......once you tighten the bolts the gap goes to 0 all around.......you cannot have a gap or space between the coupler and the vdrive. You loosen them to see if things are aligned.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DOCDRS View Post
    This does not seem right.......once you tighten the bolts the gap goes to 0 all around.......you cannot have a gap or space between the coupler and the vdrive. You loosen them to see if things are aligned.
    Sorry guys, I stand corrected. I rechecked the gaps after I tightened down the trunnions pins, not the coupler bolts, and at that time, I had gaps varying from about .003" to about .007". I didn't want to messs with it any further at that point and tightened up the coupler bolts. Sorry for the confusion.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Check out this article on alignment. Lots of good stuff-- be sure to note the stuff about V-drives.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Alignment2.htm
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

so basically aligning it on land the trailer is pointless and as long as it its close it is good to go lol. thats what i got from that article.
    David