Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I would like to upgrade my system.

Hey everyone I got tired of searching all the old threads so I figured I would make you come to me. I have an 07 outback v with the standard kenwood speakers and head unit. I have upgrades the cabin speakers to the db-651's. besides that nothing. I want some tower speakers and a subwoofer. I dont really know what all I need to purchase to accomplish this task. As in what amb, should I buy a sub in a premade box, should I upgrade the head unit, what tower speakers should I get....? I would like it all to look nice. I was hoping you could give me some ideas. I am a novice when it comes to this topic. Thanks .

You'll have to give us a price range to work with. Also, what you want out of your system? ie. bass that shakes the lake or bass that evens out the music. Do you want to be able to clearly hear the tower speakers 80 ft behind the boat?

It all depends on your budget and tastes. You can spend hundreds or you can spend thousands. Give us more info and we can lead you on the correct path. We are very fortunate in that we have some of the best audio experts in the industry onboard with us here to guide you in the right direction.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Also, do you hit the party cove and float alot and do you plan on doing the install yourself (sounds like you're not because you say you're a "novice" at this). HLCD tower speakers are expensive but are worth it compared to coax type speakers. Your budget will be the main factor. Just to give you a hint, I have an average size upgraded system but with top of the line equipment (4 Bullet HP HLCD tower, 6 Bullet HP cabin, JL Audio sub, 3 JL Audio amps, 3 batteries, onboard charger, WS-420 EQ, and HSE Revolution) and total cost was just shy of $6,000 installed so you can see, your wallet and/or your wife may go into shock
    Last edited by you da man; 04-17-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    It all depends on your budget and tastes. You can spend hundreds or you can spend thousands. Give us more info and we can lead you on the correct path. We are very fortunate in that we have some of the best audio experts in the industry onboard with us here to guide you in the right direction.
    I totally agree! Depending on how much you wanna spend and it can all be had Idea of budget $$ and then you'll get more specific pointers.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Jeff -

By all means give the group some feedback about budget because that will guide a lot of the legit advice you'll find on here. Something to think about even before you define cost is to take a look at your system in 4 categories independently of each other:

Cabin
    Tower
    Sub
    Charging

I say independently of each other because you may opt to expand 1 or 2 of these areas and not others. The caveat here is that even tho these areas focus on very different aspects of a sound system, the linking factor is the charging system. You cannot go getting carried away on any of these 3 areas without the appropriate battery setup.

So what im saying is dont blow the whole budget on gear. The points brought up by the group thus far are good ones and yes, adding subwoofer will give you almost 2 octaves of sound that your not hearing currently. Adding a tower setup can have a huge impact as well. Having a feeling for how important it is to put a lot of sound on target at 80 feet versus 15 feet (wake board / wake surf) is needed.

So give it some thought and take it from there.

Cheers!

-Brian
    Exile Audio

THanks for the ideas so far. I dont want lake shaking bass I just want it to sound good. Currently when I am driving the music gets washed out by the boat. I would hopefully like to spend no more than 3 grand, I would like to be able to hear the music 80 ft back. Plus looking cool we be alright. I probably will not self install it. I hope this helps you help me. thanks everyone.

3K is very realistic for a good solid system.

So many ways to go on that kind of coin.

With out you installing it now you have to factor in install labor.

Do you have tower speakers now? If you do then upgrading them is a lot cheaper. If you don't then you can plan on 1K just for a decent tower set up with install labor.

The Cabin speaker is a no brainer for budget, dollar to dollar its the polk DB 651s. 2 sets can be had for generally under 200 and you can install them yourself. Simple 4 bolts and connect the wires.

Sub system gets a little harder as a custom enclosure is the most popular way to go. These can run you around 300 to 500 and a woofer is 100 to 600 depending on how big you want to go.

I would highly look into Kicker amps. 700.5 for cabins and sub for a budget minded system. Runs the cabins well and the sub.

Then your left with the tower. First you need to look at other boats, see what you like the look of. Can, pods, exp Bullets, Exile XM7s, Wet Sounds.

Basically for 1K you can have a pretty rocking cabin and sub system. That will leave you apx 1k to 1200 for a tower setup and 800 for installation.

Charging system do you have 2 batteries? If not then you need to allow 200 for a second battery and switching system to run it.

You can start a really nice system for 3K this year and always upgrade later. So look at what people are running, see what you like the look of and we can really get you there from that start.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Why the custom inclosure vs the sub in the floor? I like the exile and wet sounds tower speakers. Can you still open the bimini top with them on the tower? THe kicker amp you mentioned will power the sub and the cabin speakers? Then I need another one for the tower speakers? the same one? I wish I was smarter about this hehe. I did already order the polks to replace the cabin. I appreciate the help. thanks again.

Jeff, I sent you a PM