Default rusty snaps for cover

Hey, I had a cover made and the snaps that go in cover and drill into boat were not stainless!!! They are rusty and have to be removed. Company sent wrong snaps. When I screw the new stainless snaps back into boat should I apply an epoxy, silicone or marine glue into the holes before . I thought holes might not hold snaps as well for a second time.

Default Snaps

In my experience as long as you didn't strip out the old holes by over tightening them you should be good. If the old holes are too big for your original screws you may have to use a bigger screw to fit the hole, which means the snap hole might have to be enlarged. If thats the case I would use the same size SS screw but longer and use a nyloc/aircraft nut on it to keep it from vibrating off. I used them on my transom when I put a rub rail on it that matches the boat. Personally I wouldn't use any adhesives unless the application calls for it, I especially stay away from silicone for anything on or near water. It has acetone in it and can be somewhat corrosive on certain materials. The snaps may be stainless, but they are low grade. Walmart use to sell stainless steel screw kits (wood/machine thread) that I used on my old boats with good success. Hope this helps.

Thanks dude, you covered every angle and then some.

Any time I am putting a screw etc into my hull I use Sikaflex 291 Lot. It is designed for marine applications, is flexable and will keep water out. I have it on all my snaps.