Default Tower moves a ton while trailering.....

Just got back from my yearly trek to AZ to go ride and I noticed that this time that my tower moves quite a bit while pulling. This is probably cause of all the horrible back roads we took to get there faster.

My main concern is it causing small spider cracks in the gel coat that end up looking like crap.

Any ideas......you guys have the same problems at all?

Quote Originally Posted by 2009operator View Post
    Just got back from my yearly trek to AZ to go ride and I noticed that this time that my tower moves quite a bit while pulling. This is probably cause of all the horrible back roads we took to get there faster.

My main concern is it causing small spider cracks in the gel coat that end up looking like crap.

Any ideas......you guys have the same problems at all?
    I have an aftermarket tower - but some options are to add a larger backing plate to the tower and really crank down the bolts that connect the tower to the boat and use blue loctite.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

got heavy speakers up there? maybe remove them
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

What boat do you have? Stock tower? What's on the tower when towing?

I ask as we don't exactly have some of the best roads in Cali either and i hardly notice mine move at all.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I have an 07 Outback, stock tower. I have a bimini and a set of tower speakers (four total). Never have noticed a problem going to local lake only on long hauls and we take several of them a year to AZ and Powell.

All towers move, some worse than others. I've seen some that will move side to side 8-10 inches. It's normal when you have a mass that sticks up like for inertia to take hold. For anyone to make one that doesn't flex at all would be either too heavy for the boat or extremely ugly! The four speakers aren't helping any though being way above the center of gravity as they are. You might look into some type of quick release mount for them. As said check all the mounting bolts and backing plates as well.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Checked the bolts they are tight.....just searching for any type of quick release mounts....or just deal with it might have looked worse than I thought after driving a thousand miles!
    Old Boat: 07 Moomba Outback

New Boat: Malibu vRide........and surf boards!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    got heavy speakers up there? maybe remove them
    Yep. My tower does not visibly move. My friend has the same XLV as me but with tower speakers, and his tower wobbles quite a bit when going over bumps. It's kind of scary driving behind him on the highway.

When i had my KMT's up on the tower last summer i didn't really notice to much tower wobble while driving. Now when in the water with the board up in the racks, ohh man that tower would move and wobble a lot. I had it looked at by AWS because i was pretty worried. They said its engineered to wobble and as long as the bolts are tight there's not much you can do.

Just keep the tower as light as possible.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by 2009operator View Post
    I have an 07 Outback, stock tower. I have a bimini and a set of tower speakers (four total). Never have noticed a problem going to local lake only on long hauls and we take several of them a year to AZ and Powell.
    2009 - You need to get under the deck and check the backing plates. Two things: 1) make sure the factory correctly placed the plates so the bolts actually go through them and 2) make sure that the nuts are tight. I have the exact setup ('07 Outback w/ factory tower) as you, without the speakers. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles