Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Level

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Biggest problem Blue has is when Fierah is hooked up she sits 3 inches lower then i like but my trailer is at 20 inches. When i unload Fierah Blue sits at 25 inchs and i have to stand on my bumper to get the ball to go under the tongue LOL.

Now ill be able to drop the hitch reciever down and load up Fierah then hit the go button on the air system to level her out again.
    Mike, You know you are taking all the fun of hooking up. Too bad I never got that on tape. It would make a great show.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

I'm guilty as charged. I did put inflatable air bags inside the rear coil springs of my previous tow vehicle - a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee - out the bags would only last one season and would develop cracks in them. I sent them back and they sent me new ones but I would have to go thru the hassle of installing them again (quite a job). This happened three years in a row.

My current tow vehicle is a 2000 Dodge Durango and sad to say, I have not done anything to it and I look like I am going pertually uphill when my boat is attached. So what does everyone recommend I go with as far as a reliable set up without spending a ton of $$? Air shocks?

Thanks,

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Al go with bags from Air Lift Suspensions, they are rock solid and do the job perfectly. In fact i do believe that's what Mike got as well based on my recommendation. When i bought last year i found them with the single inside gauge and compressor for around $200 total and they're not hard to install as you have a leaf rear suspension.

I feel for that Durango btw! My wife has an '03 and the poor thing squated so bad towing the old boat (which was lighter) that i went out and bought the truck. But then hers has the 4.7L V8 and it worked too hard for my likeing.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I know I will probably catch some flak for this, but I am a firm believer in having a full size tow vehicle for a full size boat. I will admit that when I first bought my boat, I was towing it with a Ford Ranger, however, I did swap out the rear leaf springs for some heavier duty ones which helped with the squatting. After about a year of that, I wised up and bought a F150.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Al go with bags from Air Lift Suspensions, they are rock solid and do the job perfectly. In fact i do believe that's what Mike got as well based on my recommendation. When i bought last year i found them with the single inside gauge and compressor for around $200 total and they're not hard to install as you have a leaf rear suspension.

I feel for that Durango btw! My wife has an '03 and the poor thing squated so bad towing the old boat (which was lighter) that i went out and bought the truck. But then hers has the 4.7L V8 and it worked too hard for my likeing.
    What about air shocks? Are they a comparable option to air bags? They seem to be a bit less expensive.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    What about air shocks? Are they a comparable option to air bags? They seem to be a bit less expensive.
    Air shocks will do the job Al but here's why I don't recommend them. One, regardless of what any shock mfgr says they will not properly support the ame load air bags will. Second, they will on some vehicles cause the rear end to hop and become very harsh as the shocks are generally not the best on valving. Three they are notorius for blowing air lines at the seemingly most inoportune moments.

If you want to keep cost down then just get the bags without the compressor and and manually fill.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Got my air bags installed Sunday morning before we picked up the boat. I didnt get all the on board stuff done. Just the bags and cut a couple short lines to manualy fill them till i can get the on board stuff done.

WOW what a difference. I dropped Fierah on the truck, she squatted about 5 inches like normal. Hit the air and up Big Blue went. 50psi and she was level and rode like there was no boat on the back of her.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I love my VW Touareg with the air suspension. I hooked the boat up to her saturday, put her suspension setting in auto (I usually drive it in sport mode, lowered) and when I cranked her up she jacked up her little rear end and front end till everything was level!

She also comes with an air line under the rear seat and a fitting to attach it to just in under the front seat. If we need to fill a tube for Wolfeman or Kaneboats I just hook it up, crank it up and fill up their tubes!

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Got my air bags installed Sunday morning before we picked up the boat. I didnt get all the on board stuff done. Just the bags and cut a couple short lines to manualy fill them till i can get the on board stuff done.

WOW what a difference. I dropped Fierah on the truck, she squatted about 5 inches like normal. Hit the air and up Big Blue went. 50psi and she was level and rode like there was no boat on the back of her.
    Yah - you need air bags now with all that audio weight in her.

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by zegm View Post
    If we need to fill a tube for Wolfeman or Kaneboats I just hook it up, crank it up and fill up their tubes!
    What's a tube? You must be talking about some other kaneboats you know, right?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!