Thread: Trailer Level

Hybrid View

Default Trailer Level

I keep seeing this in pictures and when driving and it really worries me people are not understanding this.

There is a reason we have Camber, Caster, and Leveling to trailers.

Single axle trailer are not as prone to this but still need to be level.

Duel axle trailer absolutely need to be level.

Single axle trailer when sloped down on the front, or raised to high on the front cause very serious problems to the trailers and the people traveling next to them.

Up tongue means, trailer is ridding with more weight in the rear, this causes fishtails, more weight on the rear half of the springs and is a very high risk of coming off the hitch ball. It also stresses the hitch ball and can cause it to break off.

To low on the tongue causes more Stress on the hitch ball, adds more weight then recommended on your trailer hitch, and causes the rear axle of the trailer to be stressed on the front half of the springs.

Duel axle trailers are designed this way to evenly carry the load on the boat in our case.

Leaning to fare forward or backwards adds tremendous stress to the leading or trailer axle depending on what direction the trailer is tilted. This also causes the trailer to drift easier when hitting bumps.

The correct way to tow your boat or any trailer is completely level or 1 inch forward for a single axle trailer.

Take a level and sit it on the frame rail of your trailer when your hooked to the truck, if its not level get the proper tow receiver or get a leveling kit for the truck.

You cause great stresses on a tow vehicle when the trailer isn't level. Added weight on the hitch, hitch ball, rear suspension, and braking system of the tow vehicle. The bigger your boat the more stresses caused.

Please take a few minutes next time you load you boat, step back look at your rig, if its sagging in the rear, and or the boat isn't level, fix it. Tow safely this summer and make it safe for those around you.

Sorry i had to write this up after already seeing tons of boats traveling around with really improper leveling setups.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I totally agree. People and their trailers really get me upset. The not level is one of them. I have heard people complain about hitting their prop guard on their trailer, well I hardly ever scrape mine, and my trailer is level. The other thing is lights, it pisses me off how many people tow trailers without working lights. I would venture to say that around here, less than half of the ones I see have working lights. Also, there are some crappy trailers out there as well that really scare me, and they are going to kill someone. I once saw a guy towing a Bobcat, on an homebuilt angle frame and rebar trailer that looked like it was about to collapse, with no lights of course, behind a Ford Aerostar van. Someone should shoot that guy. Related to that, the other thing I can't understand is seeing a newer Escalade or Land Rover or whatever, towing a trailer that is a comple piece of s%*t. If you can afford a really nice tow vehicle, you can afford a trailer that won't kill someone.

Thanks for the post. This is a subject often overlooked and not mentioned often enough on this forum.

Please use proper care while towing, not only to keep yourself and others safe, but to protect your investments as well!
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

Ideally your trailer toungue should be 18-19" off the pavement when hooked to the vehicle. Follow that rule and you'll never have an issue. That is pretty much how it's been determined for years. In fact i was suprised to see the dealer check mine with a tape measure when we took delivery.

And i'm in agreement that there are way to many uninformed, ignorant or lazy people pulling trailers. The ones that get me are when you see a vehicle & trailer swaying back and forth in a vary dangerous manner and the driver is just going along like nothings happening!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Guys great post. I have also noticed as the weather is getting nicer more people with toys in tow and how bad they do on the weight. Also if you are level on flat ground i would assume it would make a difference loading and unloading the boat. When i got my new tow rig i had to buy a new hitch and ball just so i was riding level again. You can never have too many ways to hookup the boat.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Glad you brought this up Mike

Thats one of the reasons I added air bags to the rear of the truck-
    I can level the trailer if the bed of the truck is full or empty-even empty I add about 25psi to the bags to level it. Have had to add 50psi to the bags when the truck was full of camping gear
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart