Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sub in driver footwell

I will have a single 12" sub in a sealed enclosure - my question is shall I point the sub towards the driver or towards the front of the boat? I've heard both arguments.

Thoughts?
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

Mine is toword the driver and it can get pretty intense. I have never heard one facing opposite. Be curious to see what the out come of this question is though.
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

I have mine facing the rear of the boat (pointed towards the driver) and have had great sound quality; I do also have a second sub behind the observer seat though also.
    2013 Outback V

My JL Audio sub is in an enclosure and fires towards the driver and it's loud.

I did a lot of testing of this theory also. I fired the sub up into the dash and tried it firing down into the floor.

I personally didn't notice much difference. Facing up, and facing the floor the only difference was some songs you could feel the sub a little better as in the vibrations. Sound quality was the same in my mind.

I had the new box designed to fire forwards more for looks then anything. Remember a sub has to move air. When its in a sealed box, it still needs to move air off the woofer cone, if the air space is to small the sub will be less efficient. Firing into the drivers seat or forward gives you the bling factor, also you get that rush of air from it, and you can starve it for air to move.

Just my thoughts.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Thanks guys - I'll face it towards me as I've seen most done. The only reason I ask is because I've heard a few guys saying when you face it forward - the properties are similar to a bandpass box when it fires into the front seating area.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

I vote 100% for facing it towards the bow. In my mind, it is similar to putting subs in the trunk of a car. If they fire backwards toward the trunk lid, they tend to sound better. Plus I like the fact that it is hidden from view and protected from damage.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSUmoomba View Post
    I vote 100% for facing it towards the bow. In my mind, it is similar to putting subs in the trunk of a car. If they fire backwards toward the trunk lid, they tend to sound better. Plus I like the fact that it is hidden from view and protected from damage.
    the plot thickens. I can see both arguments. Let's discuss further.

Try it both ways and see what you like better. Make sure you do it on the water. It will sound different in the garage, out of the garage and in the water.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I put it in facing bow, driver, and the sides, and up. It no doubt sounds loudest and cleanest facing the bow of the boat!!!! It doesnt look as cool but hey its a sub, its for sound not looks right. I didnt have enough room to have it face the bow so mine faces to the side which is still much better than facing the driver.

Bass needs to bounce off of something to sound good!!!

Last edited by morgan040; 04-13-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: pic