Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Damn, you guys... I would love to have my sub enclosed better than just the stock location, but there's NO WAY I could give up that much foot/knee space. I'm 6'4" and need all the room I can get. Maybe someday I'll rip out or modify the existing bulkhead, but for now I guess my wimpy bass will just have to do.
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion.

A few observations for everyone.

In my experience the question becomes one of more practical application versus any clear hands down winner of a forward/ rear/up/down firing sealed enclosure. The real question people should be asking is, "can I get a bass reflex box in my boat helm location and not give up to much space."

Sealed enclosures should typically take up a lot less space.
    Bass Reflex / Ported / slot vented will take up more space depending on the target volume and tuning.

With all this in mind, why then would anyone want to knowingly give up more space? Good question right? Answer is: A bass reflex enclosure uses the sound from the rear side of the diaphragm to increase the efficiency of the system at low frequencies as compared to a typical closed box loudspeaker or an infinite baffle mounting. This is what creates SPL. It's the Sound Pressure Level that we enjoy as bass. From a musical point of view, adding a sub to your setup will provide almost 2 octaves of sound where your cabin speakers stop. It also allows you to target your cabin speakers with more specific frequencies by running their amplifier in HP mode.

Remember, the goal is to maximize sound pressure level. If we keep our eyes on that goal, the rest is easy.

Jeff - If your going sealed. I'd try to dial down the enclosure to the smallest possible size for the given woofer. The bandpass comment is people telling you things they don't fully understand.

NCSU - Putting subs in the rear of a trunk and bouncing the sound off the rear hatchback glass gives you "cabin effect". I've seen some of this done in the helm area by firing or porting up into the helm cavity.

Kane - Your comments are spot on. He should try things for himself and see the what happens. I put Mandley through a similar process and you all saw his comments. I'd be surprised if Jeff heard any difference....

Morgan - do you have a 15" woofer in that enclosure? thats huge man!

Cheers guys,

-Brian
    Exile Audio

I just have a 12" Memphis Mojo but it requires a 3.5 cubic foot box. Thats why its so big.

Morgan - that my friend is one giant box. I'm sure it hits nice and low but in terms of being practical, its pretty ginormous (is that a word?) for a helm. Hell you got no space! But you do have tunes! lol

Check out the enclosure we did for Mandleys ride. It's half that size and a fairly similar woofer to your mojo. He only lost 5 inches of foot space.

-Brian

Where did you get that hose to extend the heater vent?! I need some, and can't find it anywhere!!!
    2013 Outback V

I was told by Kicker my sub would perform best firing down. Problem was if I did a down firing box id loose cubic feet and I thought that was more important so I built a standard box, sub facing out.
    06 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Where did you get that hose to extend the heater vent?! I need some, and can't find it anywhere!!!
    Ian if i'm not mistaken that's dryer vent hose you can get at any home improvement center.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thats what I thought too; I'll have to re-look. I couldn't find it at Home Depot
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    Ian if i'm not mistaken that's dryer vent hose you can get at any home improvement center.
    Yes, that is correct. My local boat shop had it for pretty cheap, I just saw it there one day. It was like 5 bucks for all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Morgan - that my friend is one giant box. I'm sure it hits nice and low but in terms of being practical, its pretty ginormous (is that a word?) for a helm. Hell you got no space! But you do have tunes! lol

Check out the enclosure we did for Mandleys ride. It's half that size and a fairly similar woofer to your mojo. He only lost 5 inches of foot space.

-Brian
    I totally agree, but.... I have never put my legs under there even when there was room. I have my seat all the way back and the cushon up. I use the box as leverage to sit up higher. I still feel like I cant see over the bow and Im 6 feet tall. Maybe Im just not used to not seeing over the bow.

I tried to find a sub that could take 1000 watts rms at 2 ohms and that was the only one I could find at the time. Then when I went to install it I found out what size box it required....so I just delt with what I had. It sounds amazing but I totally agree, just a "little" big.