Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a garage.....

Hey guys my girlfriend and I are going to be building a garage here very soon. We are planning on a 24X24 with a 16X10 garage door.
    The boat is currently in storage and I can't access it until the beginning of May. The plan is to have the garage all done by the time we get the boat out of storage.
    I have a few questions as far as the garage door goes.... Will a 10ft door be tall enough to fit the boat without collapsing the tower? Boat is a 1999 Outback with a custom tower on it. All of the construction plans are not finalized as of yet because we are still tweaking some things. I'm hoping 24ft deep will be big enough as well. Trailer does not have a swing away tongue either. I'm assuming it should just fit all the way in and I can take the platform off if I have too....
    This is alot more work than I thought trying to get everything planned out, but it will sure be nice to have a garage !!!!!!!

Thanks
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Aaron, an answer was highly possible until you added you have a "custom tower". Being as that eliminates the known factor of the factory tower height there's really no way for anyone here to tell you. If you can find out the height of your tower then i'm sure someone here can tell you the height to the top deck and just add the measurement.
    2007 Mobius LSV

build that garage to fit a XLV or the 24' supra-everything else will then fit and when you do upgrade the next one will also fit
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I have an 08 Outback that I was keeping in a 12'x25' storage box. I had to keep the swim platform on due to a FAE and I have a swing away tongue on the trailer. I only had about 6" to spare. The swim platform takes a similar amount of room as the tongue.

Make sure that you install a 10" tall door.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

check out the mods and look at my post just a few days ago posted pics of my garage i just finished.
    my garage is 32 deep 20 wide 12 high
    door is 10 wide 11 high
    i have no issue getting it in cause i have plenty of practice with my job but wish i would have went 12 wide.
    from ground level to the top of the light on the tower with the light up for me was 10 feet 4 inches

if i were you i'd go deeper 24 ft isn't gonna give you much room at all to work around

Aaron,

You've got a lot riding on these measurements. If it were me, I'd take a trip to my boat and measure everything to make sure.

I like moombadaze's suggestion too - build it to accommodate the biggest boat that you think you might possibly own some day. Better to spend that extra cash now than trying to modify it later.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

I appreciate all the replies guys!!!
    After doing some more thinking and talking it over with the GF I think we are going to go with 26ft deep and keep it at 24ft wide.
    We are trying to do everything for around $12,000 and most of it is going to be done "under the table" by a bunch of friends that are in the Union and will be doing it on the side for steaks and beer.
    So far the estimate I received for all the concrete work is just under $6,000 and I did the "design your own garage" at Menards and came up with a price around $5,800 for building materials. I know I will have to custom order the garage door though.
    I also figure a little more for the electrical and other odds and ends...
    I am going to get ahold of the person where the boat is stored and see if I can get in to measure the height with the tower. Last year it was buried in the back along with 20 or so other boats and I couldn't even access it.
    I'm thinking my tower might be a little bit higher than the factory one so I might need a bit taller than a 10ft garage door....

Thanks again
    '99 Outback (Maroon/Creme) GM 350/Holley 4150
    550 HRS
    LaSalle-Peru, IL

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWhitt82 View Post
    I appreciate all the replies guys!!!
    After doing some more thinking and talking it over with the GF I think we are going to go with 26ft deep and keep it at 24ft wide.
    We are trying to do everything for around $12,000 and most of it is going to be done "under the table" by a bunch of friends that are in the Union and will be doing it on the side for steaks and beer.
    So far the estimate I received for all the concrete work is just under $6,000 and I did the "design your own garage" at Menards and came up with a price around $5,800 for building materials. I know I will have to custom order the garage door though.
    I also figure a little more for the electrical and other odds and ends...
    I am going to get ahold of the person where the boat is stored and see if I can get in to measure the height with the tower. Last year it was buried in the back along with 20 or so other boats and I couldn't even access it.
    I'm thinking my tower might be a little bit higher than the factory one so I might need a bit taller than a 10ft garage door....

Thanks again
    those figures seem kinda steep to me
    you see how much concrete block i used on my garage and concrete floor and footers and all the stone for under the floor and back fill for drainage and i was around 4,000 for all block concrete and stone.
    you'll be shocked when u find out what a door cost!!

my garage door is 7'3" hi, my supra 21v is 7'6 high with the tower folded and low profile tires so i'm SOL
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

If you wanted to be on the safe side of guessing your height requirements, I would use the DOT minimun height requirement standard then, 13-13.5 ft. You can roll your semi-truck in your garage then too. J/K Probably just best to measure your boat.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer