Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Whats wrong with the key? My wife just had her 1 year old Volvo towed to the dealer (60 miles away) because the push button staring device was having issues" key not matching" . we got the spare and same thing . wish we had a normal key. Push button is for the birds IMO
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I would venture a guess the issue is more that it's a Volvo vs the keyless ignition.....lol

Come to think of it, jmvotto, I don't know why anyone would install heated seats in their boat. I had a new car once in which the heated seats quit working a month after I bought it....don't cross the street, I once heard of someone getting hit by a bus...what's the matter with walking, I once crashed a bike...

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    Come to think of it, jmvotto, I don't know why anyone would install heated seats in their boat. I had a new car once in which the heated seats quit working a month after I bought it....don't cross the street, I once heard of someone getting hit by a bus...what's the matter with walking, I once crashed a bike...
    I think if you need heated seats in your boat , you realy don't need a boat. Get your self a blanky and curl up on the coach and watch Oprah

If the heated seats in my car don't work. I can still use my car. all i was trying to state is if the push button goes, (Which after reading on the web is often for Volvo/ford), then your dead in the water. I think its a cool concept, not sure i would depend on it.

Fords have the keyless entry, leave your keys in the car, keyless entry does not work. dead on the road, no onstar on that one.

IMHO for what its worth, just sharing my experience. have not heard much about keys not working though?

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

This post seems to have a lot of opinions…. So here is my experience.

One morning my girlfriend left for work with the keys to the boat in her purse so I was left with no boat!!!! Keyless would have been cool.

Another time a piece of the rubber housing around the key broke off and pushed into the keyhole not allowing the key to insert all the way.

Both Times I was able to “hotwire” the boat very easily. In my experience there were only three wires to the key. Hot-Run-Crank. When you normal use the key to start the boat you connect all three at once and when you release the key you are just connecting Hot and Run.

What I did both times when I was stuck with no key option I took a three way switch. Run-Off-Crank. I flipped the switch to Crank and the boat started cranking. Then very quickly flipped the switch past off back to the Run position and the boat kept running.

I guess what I am trying to say is installing a push button starter would be so simple. One switch to connect your hot and run leads and one “push button” to temporarily connect hot and crank. Mounting the switch under the dash, anywhere that it would be hidden or out of the way would be one way of preventing accidental starting.

That's what I was talking about.

As for lost keys-- I like to keep a spare key hidden on every vehicle I own. I don't like being stranded anywhere for any reason. Nothing like getting off a train at 11:30 pm when it's about 8 degrees out and finding you can't even get in your car, much less start it. . . . Wait, my spare key is right here!!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I like to keep a spare key hidden on every vehicle I own.
    Exactly, especially on the boat. It has come in handy twice.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I keep the spare key in the truck jockey box and keep the main key in the ignition pretty much at all times. no real reason to take it out here. IF someone did manage to take off in the boat, nowhere they can go and no trailer to take it out. cops will get them eventually...

I'll never forget my second outing to the lake and forgot the boat key at home on the counter. left 2 chicks drinking beer in the marina parking lot in a boat on a trailer with no tow vehicle hooked up on a busy august saturday. I can only guess the comments they got
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    I think if you need heated seats in your boat , you realy don't need a boat. Get your self a blanky and curl up on the coach and watch Oprah

If the heated seats in my car don't work. I can still use my car. all i was trying to state is if the push button goes, (Which after reading on the web is often for Volvo/ford), then your dead in the water. I think its a cool concept, not sure i would depend on it.

Fords have the keyless entry, leave your keys in the car, keyless entry does not work. dead on the road, no onstar on that one.

IMHO for what its worth, just sharing my experience. have not heard much about keys not working though?
    Joe,

I hear what ya but you are talking about a complicated keyless device in your car. What the OP wants to do is a very simple push button start so in that respect, it's no more prone to failure than the current key set up.

I think it would be kind of cool. But the key (pun intended )is to hide the on/off switch so that it's not easily found especially if your boat sits on the water unattended a lot. Mine doesn't so it wouldn't be an issue. I might have to do this mod one of these days.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

shapie got the "key" it does not sound complicated nor 400 bucks...

Joe V
    2007 Outback V ~ sold