Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Push-...Q5fAccessories

This looks cool and says it has instructions as well.
    2005 Moomba 23 XLV
    340 HP, Clarion 5 HU, 2 Clarion wired digital remotes, 2 Wetsounds 485's, 6 Wetsounds XS 650's, 1 JL 12w6 Sub, 1 Wetsound WS420, 2 JL 300/2amps, 1 Wetsounds Sync 4 amp, 1 JL 500/1 amp. Teak swim platform, Perfect pass. Flip up Bow Light, Chrome tower Nav Light, Chrome thru hulls, Black Bimini, 2 750 Flyhigh bags, 1100 center Flyhigh bag, Acme 1235 14.25 x 14.5 prop, Dual battery system. Evolution Cover. Chrome Blower Vent Covers.

Quote Originally Posted by mnpracing View Post
    I appreciate "have you thought about...." comments pertinent to accomplishing the goal, but I'm really just looking for some installation instructions and comments regarding and issues/problems encountered.
    So, you're saying that you're not some idiot off the street that wants to hurt kids? You've actually thought about what you want to do and are asking if any forward-thinking others have done it? I have. Just not on a Moomba.

A few years back I got totally *%$&$# [angered] by another manufacturer's wimpy key system. I put a "pull-on" light switch type switch on the dash for the "key" and a simple spring loaded button on the dashboard for the starter/ignigition switch. Nothing you can't do on any vehicle you want. The fact the switches looked just like light and horn switches made it a "stealth" security system. BUT, anybody who didn't know the drill couldn't start the boat. This could be good or bad, depending on the emergency.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kaneboats. I've found a couple of sets of instructions to do this, but the part of the circuit that I don't currently understand is the need for two switches plus the push button. I would have thought that it could be done with one switch and a push button. Maybe it's that the current key system is actually somehow two switches internally? I know (or have read) that it can be done with two switches and a button, but it should be able to be done with one switch and a button. Can you describe in more detail how you wired your system since that sounds like it's just one switch and a button?

Thanks again.

Check this out! I looked at it for my Camaro but should work on a boat.
    http://www.auto-hub.com/stardrive_pu..._ignition.html

If you end up installing one in ur moomba - post pics of the install and finished job. I'd be interested to see this all come together

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Default Possible helpfull info?

I'm not going to claim I have all the answers for your endeavor but I may be able to help.

I couldn't find a schematic for my outback but I will look this weekend. But lets just assume the ingnition key has two pairs of conductors, one pair for run and another pair that pulls in the starting solenoid. When you turn the key from OFF to the run position that makes a set of contacts close for the run pair which obviously must stay closed for engine to stay running. You then rotate key switch to the start position, closes the start pair of conductors "momentarily" until you let go and key switch returns to the run position. Sorry if this is redundant for you I just don't know where you are in this battle.

So, you can simply install a switch (2 position ON/OFF) somewhere which will enable the motor to run and then install a momentary push button to start the motor. The only thing I would make sure off is the contact rating (amps) of the two switches you install. You could simply pull your key switch out and look on it for it's contact rating and match it to the new one's.

You could do something really cool like put a latching relay and starting relay in and then just use a single push button to enable the run and start.

Let me know if I can help.

JD's Toy, thanks this is really helpful. I looked last night and discovered that my current keyed switch is a three position switch (off,run,start). I had been thinking it was a four position (off,acc,run,start) which would have required two on/off switches in addition to the start button (or so I thought). Based on what you wrote (which now makes sense to me), I could reach my original goal of one on/off switch and the start button. However, now you have me intrigued about the latching relay. I haven't heard of that before, but I'll be google'ing it in a second...

I will also have a master on/off switch that controls this entire setup in a hidden (but convenient place) to prevent unwanted starting.

Sorry for not responding earlier. Looks like you're on the right track now. I just wired the ignition to a pull out switch like a light switch and then the start circuit through a button. The particular boat had a bunch of the same kind of pull out (on) switches for lights, bilge, acc, etc. so my "key" was kind of invisible.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

You will really have to find out the voltage the the Moomba system works on (which is 12V) and compare it to the kit that you find. Most modern cars do not have a true 12V system any more. The CAN electrical systems and new technology have changed. Make sure that the kit you get will indeed provide the power needed to start your boat.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

That's a darn good point. Once upon a time you could grab power from anywhere and add a fuse. Now you better have a meter and know what you are grabbing.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!