Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

The second option sounds "high tech" but it seems to me you will be doing more work than if you just put the key in the ignition and did your thing?

I say this as someone who has "push button" start on my VW. The main advantage of this system as I see it is as long as my key is in my pocket I don't have to get it out wasting what a couple seconds? Well also the keys have their own codes and when I approach the Touareg if the seat has been moved it will move it and the steering wheel back to my setting. When my wife approaches the VW the seat and steering wheel moves to her setting. But my wife Never drives my Touareg, she loves her Jetta Station Wagon too much. It is nice not having to dig through my pockets to get the key but I could live without it.

I'm looking at a set of matching billet buttons, one momentary for the start button and one latching button for the ignition on/off. Here's a link to what I'm thinking about. They're a little spendy but I think it would look nice. The lighted buttons are what I had in mind.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...FRMMDQodR1lyOg

I wish you wouldn't have posted the link to the billet buttons, it looks like a nice way to go. Custom etching......hmmm

zegm- I wish my wife's VW had the keyless system like yours.

I could certainly live without the push button start, and there's nothing inconvenient about using the key (especially since I never remove the key), to be honest, I'm just looking at the cool/bling factor of this mod.

Ok I must admit when I take co-workers to lunch they do give me weird looks when I start the VW without a key. Keep in mind the VW button is just a pretty chrome plated button on the console that doesn't state anywhere what its intended function is. So yeah I do get bling points.

I purchased my Touareg used from a VW dealer in Charleston SC and I was told it was owned by a very wealthy man who had this option and paddle shifters imported from Volkswagon German and then installed at the dealership. I am not sure the push button start was an option for the 2006/2007 Touaregs and I was told I had the only Touareg in the US with paddle shifters.
    So I guess I get double bling points!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    if i can get one that lights up the accent color on my boat and score some "bling" points, i might be in. I think you could get away with just one. Get a cheaper one to use as a switch for inline that is hidden
    I'm right there with ya KG. The accent color has me sold on this idea, and I agree about using a cheaper/hidden switch for the inline. For that matter, I think I can use my Perko switch to turn off the starting battery when we're hanging out and swimming (which I do anyway).

As for the accessories, I never use the key for acc's. Actually, like you, all of my accessories are running through rockers on the driver side panel, and always powered off the battery so I don't lose stereo memory/settings. The only thing running through my key (right or wrong, I don't know?) is the starter and starting battery.

zegm - when you take the co-workers to lunch, do they make you pay because you're the one with the fat wallet that can afford to have push button start..? Let's see a pic of the paddle shifters.

mn, thanks for the link

I placed an order and will report back when the parts come

Trying to get this figured out. I'm trying to use 1 push button to act as a latched switch for the acc AND a momentary switch for the starter. It's going to take 5 relays, 2 diodes, 1 resistor, and some fancy wiring to pull it off. Hopefully I'll have it figured out (good or bad) sometime tonight.
    2 buttons would definitely work, but I don't want 2, just 1 to control it all. We shall see.

I did find some cheaper LED push buttons:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g52/...ml?id=RqhCHfM5

And here's another option:
    http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/i..._switches.html

My ign switch just failed so I just ordered this
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/60...tml?tl=g52c341

I'm going to make this work lol!
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
    My ign switch just failed so I just ordered this
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/60...tml?tl=g52c341

I'm going to make this work lol!

Mark - Please take pictures of the install. I am interested. How do you ensure that the LED, which is always on, does not run down your battery? - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

If that $13 switch functions as a key/ignition, I'm pretty sure KG will punch babies. He has been waiting for someone to figure this out for 2 years now and not have it cost and arm and a leg.
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold