Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Add Subwoofer?

Default Add Subwoofer?

Anybody add a subwoofer to the stock system in the LSV? This is a 2008 with the stock Kenwood deck plus two tower speakers and 6 interior speakers. There are two amps but I haven't even looked at what they are.

I am curious as to whether I need to add a separate amp or if I can use what's there just to add a 10" sub. I know that a subwoofer was an available option but I don't know if they would run it from the same amps or use different ones or add a third one if you ordered the sub. Anybody been through this?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

my "guess" would be that you have the 4ch kenwood amps that skiers liked to use. if you do, then no additional amps are needed. you really need to get the model numbers and that will tell all. might take some re-wiring tho for you to really get the best usage out of them if you do in-fact have the dual 4ch amps.
    if not, you can swap one out for a 4ch and go from there.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Kane - take a look at the setup you have. You could add a small 10"sub if the cabin amplifier is a 5 channel amp and they just hooked up the cabin speakers to ch's 1-4. I doubt this is the case but, hey, you never know.

I will also say, the guys that do have the 5th channel amplifier and a 10" sub are all the guys have have asked us to develop a 12" "Perfect Fit" Ported enclosure system for your LSV so they can upgrade and actually hear those 2 octaves of sound that they are missing. This type of setup would require a dedicated amplifier to power as most 5th channel amplifiers are not exactly robust in their output level.

check your model#'s and go from there.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

The model #'s are ZX250.2 and ZX200.4.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

kane - you answered your own Q

the .4 is for the cabin
    the .2 is for the towers

if you want to add a sub, you'd either need to upgrade to a .5 and build a box or buy a pre-made enclosure system and a dedicated amp.

having a sub is a good thing. Even if your not a boom boom guy, it gives you a much warmer overall sound when it blends into the cabin setup.

-Brian

That's really what we're after. I'll have to figure out what the best way to go is.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Yup the 200.4 and the 200.2 are the standard amps.

When i bough mine last year, it didnt come with tower speaker but it came with a sub. They took the 200.2 bridged the 2 channels together and ran that to the sub.

Realy think about the sound you want out of the sub before you take this project on. This is where mine started last winter when i upgraded my sub tot he Kicker L5. Then the Exile XM7s then the entire system was reworked, and to be honest i still want new cabins just waiting till the summer gets here i think LOL.

If you realy just want some bass and not a real need for the heavy hit, big sound then the normal hump options so many have can work pretty well. This will also require a new amp, eighter a thrird, or what i would do is the 5 channel.

If you realy want dynamic big sound, with realy solid bass tones then you have to have some kind of box. Lots of us have them, all depends on what space and location in the boat you are willing to give up for it. Remember nothign is for free, and a sub costs SPACE!!
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

The 5 channel is definitely a possibility as it would save space and I could take out the 4 channel and use it in the Mustang-- it can use all the help it can get.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

The kick panel or hump the factory places the sub is a great do it yourself option. I ran mine there all summer last year and it sounded realy great for what it is. It is simple, uses unsed space, and it still looks nice.

I would definitly be looking into the kicker 700.5 amp. Also look at getting a Duel Voice Coil Sub that can run at 2ohms. The 700.5 is stable at 2ohms and it realy does pound for what it is.

12inch speaker can be put in the hump but its tight fit. I would look more into the Kicker L5 that i had, also Newty is running these but there in boxes. You will have to add osme padidng behind the speaker to help close the space behind it up, you can also look into some open air type subs.

There was a huge thread on this that Cab started last winter think it was in Nov.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    The model #'s are ZX250.2 and ZX200.4.
    Kane,

I saw your post in the classifieds asking about the ZX200.4 being advertised there and whether or not you can use it for a sub. You can't, but here's how you can use that amp to add a sub to your system without breaking the bank:

1. Leave your current ZX200.4 as is - powering your 6 cabin speakers.

2. Use the ZX250.2 to run a 4 ohm sub. In bridged operation, it will deliver 250W x 1 to a 4 ohm sub. I have a Polk/Momo 4 ohm 10" sub in perfect condition that I'd make you a good deal on. PM me if interested. It will fit perfectly in the footbox under the dash of your LSV.

3. Buy the ZX200.4 in the classifieds and run it bridged to power your tower speakers. It will deliver 100W x 2 @ 4 ohms in bridged operation. Verify that your tower speakers are 4 ohm speakers which they should be. Your current ZX250.2 is delivering 85W x 2 @ 4 ohms so your tower speakers will get more power from running the 200.4 bridged compared to what they are getting from the 250.2 now.

I got all the specs above from sonicelectronix.com so they should all be correct.

Hope that helps.

Al
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV