Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wake Plate...

Hey Buck -

I'm going to disagree heavily with the group here. For that kind of cash ($650 + cost of install) you would be waaaaayyyyyyy more happy by stacking the boat with more ballast. For less than the cost of the wake plate - you could build an internal ballast system with pumps AND sacks. If you put a 750 in the rear ski locker, 250-350 under the rear seat area, a 250-350 in the front ski locker and then an integrated bow sack with another 350+ you would be much happier with the wake. With our boats - the issue isn't so much the shape of the wake but it is the size of the wake. I know we've discussed this before but 2,000+ lbs in this hull is going to be WAY better than 1000 lbs and a wake plate. The wake plate shapes the wake. But it won't make it any/much bigger.

That's just my 2 cents. I think you'd be much happier with full, automated ballast and SLUMPING that thing than you would with a different shape to the wake. You can tune the shape of the wake with ballast front/back ratio and use some lead if you want to really fine tune it.
    Sold my Moomba. Currently boat whoring.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

Good point............that's my plan.
    Sack it out!!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I disagree. They started to put tabs on becouse boats with sacs were becoming dificult to drive with the bow up in the air. Like y uncles 92 supra open bow. Couldn't even drive it.

You need both. Ballast to get the big wake. Wakeplate to size and shape it. Only way to go!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

so both if i can find a wake plate for a good price and i can get it installed for a good price... but i need to ask how much that's going to run me... and i think for sure i'm going to get a for more ballast to thru in the boat and see how that works out.

jeffw, you have any pictures of your boast in action with all them ballast in there?? i would lov to see your set up with the wake and everything? o and what prop are you running?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buck02LS View Post
    so both if i can find a wake plate for a good price and i can get it installed for a good price... but i need to ask how much that's going to run me... and i think for sure i'm going to get a for more ballast to thru in the boat and see how that works out.

jeffw, you have any pictures of your boast in action with all them ballast in there?? i would lov to see your set up with the wake and everything? o and what prop are you running?

Thanks
    I'll take some pics in a couple of weeks when we get out. I'm still winterized in my driveway.

For anyone that says that they "need" both - I say B.S. Most boats don't have a wake plate. And the boats that run trim tabs typically do so for surfing.

Of course being able to shape the wake is a nice feature - but it's not going to increase the size. A big wake is a lot more fun than a small but shaped wake.

I'll take pics soon. I'm running a 3 blade ACME that was recommended to me by the guys over there. It's a SICK prop. I increased hole shot significantly and I actually gained a couple MPH top end.

I say ballast, ballast, ballast.. If you have an extra grand to spend - spend it on sacking that hoe out and adding 2,000++++ pounds and make it all automated.

Set Ups - 09 CWB Transcend Platinum w/ 09 Ronix Cells (his) and 08 Liquid Force Angel w/ 08 Alloys (hers)

Jeffw - I’m looking forward to seeing some pictures of your setup and boat in action…!

Before you said you had an integrated bow sack…is this what you have in your boat?

http://www.activewake.com/fly-high-i...-sac-w711.html

Thanks

If you don't have a wake plate you end up adjusting trim (and thus wake shape) by moving weight around in the boat. It can be done but it's a lot more difficult process. If all your riders ride at the same speed -- or close -- then it wouldn't be an issue once you got it right. If you have lots of different riders with different speeds, then it can be a little trickier.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck02LS View Post
    Jeffw - I’m looking forward to seeing some pictures of your setup and boat in action…!

Before you said you had an integrated bow sack…is this what you have in your boat?

http://www.activewake.com/fly-high-i...-sac-w711.html

Thanks
    Yeah, you can only fill it about half way full because our bows are so shallow.

Typically we run a 350 in the ski locker and a 600 filled about 3/4 of the way in the walk way and that is plenty of front ballast. We run a 600 or a 750 (can't remember) in the rear ski locker and if we want a mackin wake - we run a 400 on each side of the motor box but I really have giving up floor room so we only do that when we're putting in hardcore rides with small crew.

The nose likes to dip if you start putting more than 750 up front. You gotta be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    If you don't have a wake plate you end up adjusting trim (and thus wake shape) by moving weight around in the boat. It can be done but it's a lot more difficult process. If all your riders ride at the same speed -- or close -- then it wouldn't be an issue once you got it right. If you have lots of different riders with different speeds, then it can be a little trickier.
    I get it where I like it and leave it. I'm not tweaking ballast levels and front/rear ratios for each rider that gets on my boat. We've got about 1500 lbs set up where I like it and that's how we ride. As I said above - when we want a bigger wake we add 800 to the sides of the motor and it increases the size. Even on my friends boats with hydrogates, taps, wakeplates - we typically just have the driver/owner set the boat up and the rider just changes the speed for his liking.