Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default $28.50 Raw Water Strainer

So here it is, the $28.50 Hypro strainer from McMaster-Carr. It is identical to the $49.95 Sherwood unit from Skidim with the exception of the stainless collars around the inlet/outlet ports. I don't see that being a problem. It is 1 1/4" with a 20/20 mesh stainless screen. Grand total with two poly barbed/npt fitting was $39.13 shipped to Cali including tax.

I'll be putting this on in a few weeks and documenting the install. For those that might wonder why i got straight fittings? On the LSV the inlet hose to the Vdrive loops back to the through hull which leaves a nice long straight section of hose to splice into. No sense getting exotic with installing as i see it.

For scale purposes i place my keys next to the strainer to give an idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

Razz, those are identical! I was looking at your photo of the un-branded Hi-pro filter, and it's identical to my Sherwood filter I got from Skidim for twice as much as you paid! I feel 'great' about having those stainless caps though, because, well, they aren't going to do anything but look fancy. I suppose they'd help if you put 150 ft-lbs on the plastic threads when you tightened the bards down... not sure why you'd crank them down so tight to need support, but whatever!

I'm looking forward to your install, since I'll be tackling that project in about a month.
    2015 Supra SC400
    08 LSV - Sold
    Go big, or go home.

Since the system is not under pressure there's no reason to crank them down, all you have to do is create a seal at the fitting. That's the reason i went with poly fitting, they're softer than pvc and will seal simply by hand tightening. And since there's no pressure and the barbs will pretty much seal in the hose you don't need to crank the hose clamps way down either.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Good find! I placed my order today so thanks for the heads up!

ok this strainer is for all the water that comes into the boat?

the water strainer that came factory on mine is just for the ballast system?

Quote Originally Posted by gus 08 mobius lsv View Post
    ok this strainer is for all the water that comes into the boat?

the water strainer that came factory on mine is just for the ballast system?
    Gus, this is for the raw water intake from the bottom of your hull to the Vdrive only. If you have a factory ballast system then you have a much smaller 3/4" version of this. You may or may not have this already. If in doubt open the Vdrive compartment and look back from the inlet hose to see if it's there, if not then this is a inexpensive solution to prevent problems.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I'll make it easier for those who want to order one;

McMaster-Carr part #9875K519
    Nylon T-Strainer
    Clear Bowl, 1 1/4" NPT Female
    20 x 20 Mesh Screen

You will also need;
    • 2) 1 1/4" barbed/NPT fittings of your choice

• 2) Stainless Steel Hose Clamps of your choice
    2007 Mobius LSV

Won't the strainer slow down water intake? I mean alot of us on here are getting rid of the ballast strainer for that same reason. But this is me probablly asking a stupid question without doing a little research first. I don't even know if you need a certain amout of water flow for the v drive, nor do I know if this would slow that intake down at all? So I guess instead of doing some research I'll just ask. LOL
    2023 Moomba Mojo
    2013 Malibu VLX 21 - SOLD
    2005 Moomba XLV - SOLD
    2001 Supra - SOLD
    1998 Master Craft - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    I'll make it easier for those who want to order one;

McMaster-Carr part #9875K519
    Nylon T-Strainer
    Clear Bowl, 1 1/4" NPT Female
    20 x 20 Mesh Screen

You will also need;
    • 2) 1 1/4" barbed/NPT fittings of your choice

• 2) Stainless Steel Hose Clamps of your choice
    Gotta Hand it to ya Razzman.........Your a ton of help to us on the forum. You make it so easy to do upgrades with your comprehensive lists and "deals" you seem to find. I for one want to express my thanks and appreciation. I don't happen to need one of these yet (as my boat already has one) but you've been a ton of help on other issues. Thanks Much

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by stretch55 View Post
    Won't the strainer slow down water intake? I mean alot of us on here are getting rid of the ballast strainer for that same reason. But this is me probablly asking a stupid question without doing a little research first. I don't even know if you need a certain amout of water flow for the v drive, nor do I know if this would slow that intake down at all? So I guess instead of doing some research I'll just ask. LOL
    Stretch, no it doesn't slow it down perceptably as the intake/outlet/mesh size is engineered to accomodate the flow. Also remember that the intake flow itself is not a solid stream flow. Ever hooked up your boat to a Fake-a-Lake? If so you'll notice the water exiting the exhaust is pulsing in bursts as the impellor rotates and is not a solid stream either.

Btw these are stock on Supras if i remember and an option on Moombas.
    2007 Mobius LSV