Thread: depth finder

Question depth finder

hello
    i have a Moomba 2004 XLV gravity games edition but it has no depth finder??
    does anyone know if you can fit depth finders to these boats without having to drill the hull etc
    my old chapparal in the uk had a depth finder fitted to it which was just like an aerial under the dash which i dont think needed any sensors or drilling etc?
    i dont want to pay a fortune, but the place here in dubai we use the boat can be really shallow and we have beached it twice already!!

That should be an easy add on. Mine came stock, there was no hull drilling required for it. It appears to be an ultrasound type sensor that is glued to the hull by the vdrive and a gauge mounted in the dash area.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

just added one myself-readout gauge went in the dash and the transducer glues down in the bottom of the boat by the Vdrive unit, hook up power and ground. No holes drilled. I used hummin bird brand.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

It's one of those items you don't really think about till you have a boat that has one -- then you can't live without it!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Mcdye or Moombadaze, could you send me a picture of where your transducer is glued down? I ordered a Hawkeye, and having issues finding a place where the transducer works glued in the hull. Thanks! 02 OB LSV

My last Moomba had the Hawkeye and I glued the transducer down near the motor. I just found a good clear spot and stuck it there. A good way to test for a mounting location is to have the boat in the water with the depth finder installed. Put the transducer in a ziplock bag full of water and put it in the hull. Move it around until you get a reading in a spot that's easy to mount.
    In my LSV, I went with a different depth finder. I can't remember the name, but it has a water and air temp sensor. I had to drill the hull to get the water sensor out. The transducer is much larger on this one too and has a completely different mounting system. I'm not even going to try to explain it, but it seems to work a lot better. Not that the other one was bad though.

what is the make of the current Depth Finder? Mine is becoming a pain because giving me the --- very now and again. Is replacing the transducer the fix for this?

Aqua
    2005 Moomba 23 XLV
    340 HP, Clarion 5 HU, 2 Clarion wired digital remotes, 2 Wetsounds 485's, 6 Wetsounds XS 650's, 1 JL 12w6 Sub, 1 Wetsound WS420, 2 JL 300/2amps, 1 Wetsounds Sync 4 amp, 1 JL 500/1 amp. Teak swim platform, Perfect pass. Flip up Bow Light, Chrome tower Nav Light, Chrome thru hulls, Black Bimini, 2 750 Flyhigh bags, 1100 center Flyhigh bag, Acme 1235 14.25 x 14.5 prop, Dual battery system. Evolution Cover. Chrome Blower Vent Covers.

Quote Originally Posted by vandy654 View Post
    Mcdye or Moombadaze, could you send me a picture of where your transducer is glued down? I ordered a Hawkeye, and having issues finding a place where the transducer works glued in the hull. Thanks! 02 OB LSV
    It is on the port side of the vdrive about 6" behind the speed pickup..

You can barely see it here under the end of the tape measure..https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....water+strainer first pic.
    Last edited by mcdye; 04-07-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Thanks man. I'll give that spot a try and let you know how it goes.