Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Gas 87, 89, or 92?

Which type do you fill up with?
    2007 Moomba LSV

This question comes up a lot whether here or other forums. I fill with what the maufacturer recommends. The reason? Because the engines are tuned to run on a specific octane optimally. 87 octane and your not getting the full potential and inviting knock or ping. With 91/92 your wasting your money as the engine isn't tuned to use it. Remember everything is controlled via the computer and the parameters that's programmed into it.

Aslo remember that marine engines have higher profile cams and modifieded chambers and consequently higher compression for the most part and need that octane boost the 89 provides.
    Last edited by Razzman; 04-06-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I put 89 in the LSV but I use to run 87 in my old 2006 Supra 21v and I never had an issue. Just curious if anyone else is running anything other than 89. This past weekend out I averaged about 5 gallons an hour.
    2007 Moomba LSV

is there any difference depending which engine you have? i.e. 325 vs 340 cat?
    2021 Malibu 23 LSV
    2008 OBV-Sold!
    2001 Ski Nautique closed bow-slalom course only!
    attracted to shiny things that float

I'll second what Razz said above, but add that I use 91 because the 89 here contains 10% ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by ausbill32 View Post
    I put 89 in the LSV but I use to run 87 in my old 2006 Supra 21v and I never had an issue. Just curious if anyone else is running anything other than 89. This past weekend out I averaged about 5 gallons an hour.
    I agree you may never have an issue running 87, but your engine is working harder to stay effiecient.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by skiyaker View Post
    is there any difference depending which engine you have? i.e. 325 vs 340 cat?
    Couldn't say, the owners manual has a specific recommendation for octane and they're pretty adamant about it if you read it.
    2007 Mobius LSV

I use 87 most of the time, like when I will be running the boat often (summer). I will put 89 in for the winter storage with stabil. Every station around here has ethanol in it.

Those computers are very smart, they can adjust many settings (A/F ratio, timing, etc) to compensate for your octane; just like your car. I haven't heard a car engine "ping" from poor fuel in YEARS. Our boats are much freer flowing (intake and exhaust) than any car, so they can easily run the different cam profiles. However, these engines are not much different in spec to many cars/trucks on the road today (and yesterday). Only a dyno will be able to tell you any difference in hp/tq/performance between the different octanes.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    87 octane 10% corn oil.

Never an issue

Shoot, we all run E-85 in the Midwest. No problems, and it's good for our fish friends too!

In my 2000 Outback I ran 87. I think the boat manual said to run 89 but the Indmar manual said 87 was OK. No problems at all and great performance. I have only run 89 in the LSV though. Not sure if I would put in 87 with 10% ethanol. Maybe I'll try it this summer.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!