Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Two of my speakers crackle at high volume.

The front two(bow) kicker speakers on my 08 lsv start to crackle if i turn the radio up pretty loud. The back four speakers dont crackle at all just the front two. Am i just turning it up too loud or could there be something wrong with those two speakers.

You need to see if they are connected to the Deck or the amp. If they are connected ot the amp most likly they are going bad.

My first thought is they are connected to the deck and the deck is distorting and sending them a nasty signal and your hearing it. < Clipping >

The reason you wouldnt hear it threw the amp on the back speaker is the amp wont see the distortion as soon since they are recieving there signal threw the RCAs and deck can be turned up louder before the distortion is that bad.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I'll have too look at the boat tomorrow to know for sure. I think you're right about the bow speakers coming from the head unit because the amp for the cabin speakers is a four channel.

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    I'll have too look at the boat tomorrow to know for sure. I think you're right about the bow speakers coming from the head unit because the amp for the cabin speakers is a four channel.
    Just because you have a four channel amp doesn't mean you only have four speakers on it.

i checked it out today and the rear four speakers are connected to the amp and the front two bow speakers were hooked up to the head unit.

Sounds like it's time to find another amp.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

This might be a dumb question but why would a new amp help if the two speakers that are crackling aren't attached to the amp.

BZ -

In simple terms, here's whats happening...

Your source unit is getting cranked up, up up and away and its only got so much to give power wise. (even though mfg's rate head units a 500W and all this crap). the amplifier on the other hand is taking the "low" voltage and then amplifiing it up to louder levels.

So in a nut shell on the bow you'r exposing the limits of your source player. and on the rest of your system your not yet exposing the limits of the amplifier driving that portion.

make sense?

You have a couple of choices....

1 - turn your V down and live with it. (heheh). Probably not the best choice

2 - Find a down and dirty used 2 channel amp and slap it in there. A lot of guys on here upgrade and could probably sell you something on the cheap.

3 - Use this situation to take a look at your goals for your entire audio system and start the process of upgrading. That means reviewing the tower area, cabin area, sub area's of your setup and work toward a setup that works in better harmony together. If you go down this path, my advice is do it in stages.

Hope that helps,

Cheers!

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Thanks, Brian. I was just gonna say that the head unit doesn't have the power to drive the speakers like the amp does. But you said it so much better!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help I understand what you're saying now. Someone suggested that I just add the two bow speakers to the amp can that be done safely since all the channels are already used up? And if so is this how you would do it.
    Last edited by bzubke1; 04-07-2010 at 03:15 PM.