Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Keep in mind there are side forces on the tower legs especially when you load the racks with boards and the tower with speakers and lights. Gel is very brittle by countersinking it takes the strain off the gel.

I have managed to round up a few guys to help me remove the tower so it looks like I will be able to drill from the topside. Would you still recommend starting with a small bit and getting progressivley larger?
    2015 MOJO
    09 XLV - Roxy Blue (SOLD)

Absolutely, for two reasons. First, you want to get that pilot hole in exactly the right spot and it's way easier with the small bit. Second, you can carefully go through the gel coat with the progressively larger bits, being careful not to allow any chipping. Good luck!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Absolutely, for two reasons. First, you want to get that pilot hole in exactly the right spot and it's way easier with the small bit. Second, you can carefully go through the gel coat with the progressively larger bits, being careful not to allow any chipping. Good luck!
    Mike G,

Below is a link of my install that I think you will find helpful. Definitely remove the tower and drill from the topside as everyone else has said. Besides being better for the gelcoat, it will be much easier to run the speaker cable thru the tower leg with it removed. I made the mistake of not drilling a big enough hole (was only installing two speakers at the time) so I am going to have to go through this again since I've added two more tower speakers. I would suggest drilling a small pilot hole, then one size in the middle, then the final size. Use a sharp bit and drill in reverse. Most people say to drill in reverse until u get thru the gelcoat, then drill in forward. But I just drill in reverse all the way thru just to be safe since it doesn't take that long.

Hope that helps.

Al

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....peaker+install
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

A new forstner bit will make an extremly clean hole in reverse or forward and make short work of it. That's what i use for all hull drillings.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Thanks for everyone's input - I do not feel nearly as nervous as I did a few days ago!
    2015 MOJO
    09 XLV - Roxy Blue (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
    A new forstner bit will make an extremly clean hole in reverse or forward and make short work of it. That's what i use for all hull drillings.
    I need to drill about a 1" hole for my speaker wire connector. Was thinking about buying a forstner bit for the job. Planning on taping off and running in reverse based on all feedback I've ready.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

You're welcome!!! Not from me, but from all of them who truly have the expertise. Hope it works. Drill safe!!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Forester bit, are those the masonairy bits? Or the spade bits with the point in the middle you would use for making holes in wood normally? I am sure i know this bit just cant place the name with a picture of the bit in my mind LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Here's a quick pic of 1.
    Also wondering if you need to continue to drill up in size from small to get to the hole size you want if you are using one of these? I wouldn't think so? Past members have posted that you start with a small bit and work up? I would imagine that is if you are using a standard bit right??
    Attached Images Attached Images

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet