Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Add Subwoofer?

Kane,

My sub polk momo sounds good in that location, check out my album for pics.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Thanks Joe, I'll do that. Al, that's some sound advice. Thanks so much. I'll have to decide what the heck I'm going to do.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

So, what's the deal? The hump becomes the sub box? Does that work OK? I guess I really don't like the idea of having it on the floor or under my feet, which are wet a lot of the time. And I rest my right foot there all the time when I'm driving. I really think I'd rather put something in the space above the hump.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Kane, that's where mine currently is, on the hump firing towards the starboard side. However, i'm getting ready very shortly to build another box design i've been playing with for over 6 months now (don't ask) that will straddle the hump yet the sub fires toward the helm/cabin and yet it is off the floor. In theory it should sound real good being driven by around 400+ watts. I don't want to shake the boat just get full range. Hopefully i'll have this done in the next two weeks or so. If i don't like it then it's back to the drawing board!

So here's my current Memphis sub sitting in a pre-made box on the hump. It's strapped on to to the under-dash structure and bracket at each of the front corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Mobius LSV

I think a lot of having it in the open is for the "bling" factor. I don't care that much about seeing it; I want to hear it. And, I don't need to shake the boat either. I can tell I need a sw after having one in the old boat. The system sounds weak and incomplete without it. I hope you post your new design when you get done.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Kane,

If you don't want it in the hump( more for space ans opposed to bling) check out Tazz post on the audioformz sub enclosure. Cab polk fits that sealed enclosure PERFECT, water proof and up and out the way. I have a sturdy grille on my sub, it never gets wet there as well, my feet don't come close to eaching in but i am only 5'10"

Raz, nice pic, how did you get that ? through the heater port? LOL I wish i had that much room.......
    Last edited by jmvotto; 04-08-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: can't type for s**t
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Raz, nice pic, how did you get that ? through the heater port? LOL I wish i had that much room.......
    Just went in under the dash and placed it up there, does fit like a glove though!
    2007 Mobius LSV

Recently, on YouDaMan's Moomba, we added a 12-inch subwoofer enclosure under the driver's helm/dash. He posted some pics in the Moomba modifications section.

The enclosure is concealed behind a carpeted facade and the woofer is direct-radiating into the cockpit.

While the enclosure is resin-coated for water resistance, it is also stood off both the hump and sole with HDPE mounting pads so total drainage is built into the design. In the event of a major roller there is no moisture trap. And, the carpet is marine-grade rubber-backed and mildew-free.

With the enclosure depth, stand-offs and facade, no more than 5 inches of leg room is lost. The enclosure is full sized for a sealed 12-inch, is 3/4-inch stock, plus the hump was not cut or altered.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Recently, on YouDaMan's Moomba, we added a 12-inch subwoofer enclosure under the driver's helm/dash. He posted some pics in the Moomba modifications section.

The enclosure is concealed behind a carpeted facade and the woofer is direct-radiating into the cockpit.

While the enclosure is resin-coated for water resistance, it is also stood off both the hump and sole with HDPE mounting pads so total drainage is built into the design. In the event of a major roller there is no moisture trap. And, the carpet is marine-grade rubber-backed and mildew-free.

With the enclosure depth, stand-offs and facade, no more than 5 inches of leg room is lost. The enclosure is full sized for a sealed 12-inch, is 3/4-inch stock, plus the hump was not cut or altered.

David
    Earmark Marine
    David,
    You don't happen to have some progress pics of how it was built and installed do you?? That might help alot of us forum members that are 2000+ miles away from you. Otherwise we'd bring out boat on down and let you put one in (or at least I would)

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Viking,

The enclosure scheme we used in DaMan's Moomba can be prefabbed and shipped.

BTW, there are no holes in the box for mounting or for the facade so everything can be removed and reinstalled without concern for losing the airtight integrity and the boat dealer loves it because they can easily access under the helm. All mounting is done with studs and nuts so everything lines up perfectly upon reinstallation as it was originally.

David
    Earmark Marine