Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat cover??

Default boat cover??

i have a black non water proof cover that i got with my outback and was told it shouldnt be used for when towing cause it scratches the vinly and what not is this true? i dont wanna spend alot of money or any for a new cover but i dont wanna tow with no cover cause the road grime gets all over the interior and dirtys it pretty bad between cracks any ideas?
    thanks

Never heard the scratching the vinyl before but i can say that if it's not extremely snug the vinyl will flap and scratch the gelcoat as will the tie down straps, they flutter against the hull and mark it up but good. The factory covers were never meant to tow with.
    2007 Mobius LSV

The straps will definitely mar the gelcoat. I had to pay a detailer quite a pretty penny to fix mine.

I towed one time with the cover on and soft fabric taped over the straps. I found no abrasions from the cover itself or the protected straps. It was less than an hour of driving and nothing over 40 MPH. More speed or time might have had a different outcome.

thanks guys ya i just wanted to get a second opinion on the whole thing i guess that cover is kinda useless then...........

thats what i was thinking
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by outbackv View Post
    thanks guys ya i just wanted to get a second opinion on the whole thing i guess that cover is kinda useless then...........
    I dunno it keeps mine pretty clean in storage. I just wrap stuff garage towels around the tower legs were they enter the cover. Besides i've never seen the value in towing with a cover anyway unless it's pouring rain and then i'm not out anyway. It's just one more thing i have to find a place for when i get to my destination.
    2007 Mobius LSV

thats a good point razzman thanks

Ironically it is called a 'mooring cover' (I think), which would suggest that it is intended for stationary use - possibly on the water. But the design is not 'water friendly', since the straps are clearly intended to go around a trailer or a lift.

My body guy - who is a huge boat guy - says never trailer your boat with a cover that has straps due to the potential for gel coat 'burn'. It is more than jsut the straps to think about. It is the edge of the cover along the sides of the boat when the cover 'billows'. But I am guessing that most of us would never notice it.

One thing if you do - I hear that putting a couple of twists in the straps helps reduce the strap slap.

Good luck..
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Quote Originally Posted by BensonWdby View Post
    One thing if you do - I hear that putting a couple of twists in the straps helps reduce the strap slap.
    FYI: It didn't help one bit the ONE time i did it, i had to take the buffer and cutting agent to get the marks out.

Another myth debunked!
    2007 Mobius LSV

haha thanks guys for the input lol i think im gonna be towing coverless until i can get a snap on made...........