Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impeller

Quote Originally Posted by SanMarzano View Post
    Marzano - That's what I ordered from skidim. Actually two, so will have a backup. It matches the impeller that came with my boat from the factory. Boat as at the dealer for service unrelated to the engine, so it'll be a week before I can make the impeller install. - Deerfield

Edit: My boat is an '07 Outback DD
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Quote Originally Posted by deerfield View Post
    Marzano - That's what I ordered from skidim. Actually two, so will have a backup. It matches the impeller that came with my boat from the factory. Boat as at the dealer for service unrelated to the engine, so it'll be a week before I can make the impeller install. - Deerfield

Edit: My boat is an '07 Outback DD
    Deerfield,
    what came with the impeller from Skidim? I bought an extra from my dealer last year to ensure I had one this spring and the package was ripped open? There was no gasket in the bag - just the impeller? I see in the pic they show the impeller with gasket? Wondering if I'm missing anything?
    Thanx

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    Deerfield,
    what came with the impeller from Skidim? I bought an extra from my dealer last year to ensure I had one this spring and the package was ripped open? There was no gasket in the bag - just the impeller? I see in the pic they show the impeller with gasket? Wondering if I'm missing anything?
    Thanx
    Viking - Check out these pics. This is what I received from Skidim. Yes, each impeller comes with gasket. It's tucked behind the impeller inside the packaging to protect it from damage. Invoice even states "w/gskt." Placed the order Saturday. Package arrived Tuesday (Wednesday?). - Deerfield
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I thought so!!
    Dangit - got hosed by my dealer again. I didn't think it was right but threw it in the boat and left as we were running late last spring on a trip we had.
    Got to looking at it a few days ago and thinking?? They say seal them up over winter and the supposedly NEW impeller package is open and no gasket.

Wonder if I can get away with using the old gasket on the change this time??

I'm going to get another ordered up - Thanx!

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Viking yes you can reuse the gaskets as long as your careful removing the housing. I removed the housing cover last summer because i left the boat running as it came out of the water for a minute and thought i ruined my impeller. Its really easy to check because if it leaks after you replace the cover then its bad, lol.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Rtmathew15 View Post
    How often should we be switching these impellers out? I have an 08 and I have never switched it out.
    I have an 08 and I inspected it and put it back in. In 22 years of owning a 1975 MC (very popular ski boat in case you are wondering what MC is) I replaced the impeller 3 times. Never had a problem even when the round edges were worn away. But with the new boat that the bank still owns I will be a little more careful and part of that meant ordering the boat with a water strainer inline before the pump. Just a note here: all outboards have this same type of impeller and you will hardly ever find anyone replacing these every year, one reason is you have to remove the foot to get to them and this is time consuming and expensive. I only changed the ones on my 1999 Evinrudes in 2008 and they old ones still looked good and they were in salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Viking yes you can reuse the gaskets as long as your careful removing the housing. I removed the housing cover last summer because i left the boat running as it came out of the water for a minute and thought i ruined my impeller. Its really easy to check because if it leaks after you replace the cover then its bad, lol.
    Thanks mmandley. I was planning on tackling this mid-week! I haven't got around to ordering another and was hoping I could re-use. Wish me luck

2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

I did mine on Saturday, here's a few observations.
    • Be very careful with the little brass screws! Do not overtighten them!
    • You cannot get a straight pull on it if it's a Vdrive so spray it down with WD-40 then pull the coil wire and bump the key a few times to distribute the lube in the impellor housing.
    • If this is the first replacement on your engine (like mine) it probably won't come right out. I used two small stubby standard screwdrivers to wedge it out around the housing, be careful doing this.
    • Note the direction the vanes are bent.
    • Clean out the housing with a shop towel.
    • Put a zip tie around the impellor to and tighten it up a bit to get the vanes to bend over in the correct direction.
    • Coat the impellor with vaseline and place it in the housing pushing it as you pull of the zip tie.
    • Install new gasket and screws, again be careful to not overtighten them! If you break one off your screwed and have to remove the complete impellor assembly to extract it.
    Now my old impellor is just fine and i'll keep it for a spare in case. I replaced it as a precaution based on Indmars recommendation. But as i never run dry, beach, park in weeds or in sandy situations i've never had one go bad. Now with a strainer it's even less of an issue.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Default changed my impeller

I just replaced my impellar on my 2007 Outback. It looked like new still. I sprayed the impellar with wd-40 left it for a couple of minutes.
    Pulled off the coil wire clicked it over a couple of turns.
    Then I used reverse plyers to get a hold of it from the inside. 10min it was done. At first I was scared it didn't come with the new gasket but it was hidden in the back of the package behind the empellar. Glad I didn't pay the 150 dollars the dealers wanted.

I changed my impeller in my LSV today, it was a bit tricky to get it out but really easy to install the new impeller. All the tips and tricks that people write on this forum are great to read!