Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stereo??

Default stereo??

hey everyone i got just bought a 2008 moomba outback v and have spent the last few months custumizing it i put some new decals and other small things just seeing if anyone had any other ideas to spice up the boat?

also was wanting to replace the factory speakers and was just wondering how much of a difference would it be in sound upgrading them considering they already sound pretty good.....
    ley me know thanks everyone

anyone lol ?? it has just the stock speakers and a four channel amp in it now

Quote Originally Posted by outbackv View Post
    anyone lol ?? it has just the stock speakers and a four channel amp in it now
    I would at least add a sub to start and maybe some tower speakers if you want

Cabin speakers are ok for now
    2007 Outback V

ill add tower speakers someday i just wanna buy the best when i do so i dont really wanna buy cheapies and not be happy.....
    sub great idea got any pics of good places to mount it or good looking ways of placing one or two would i need another amp neccesarily i have a 4 chan now....
    ya i think ill leave the cabin speakers for now they sound ok
    thanks for the input just looking for some good ideas
    ive been boating most of my life and just bought my first boat at the age of 21 this year so im pretty excited.......

I think your original question is a little broad for everyone. The amount of mods/upgrades that can be done has no limit!!!!! This is an excellent tread that I'm sure will give you tons of ideas. https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6688&highlight=mods

Search for other threads that are more specific to the things you might want to pursue. I recommend you proceed with caution, LOL, it is rather easy to get carried away. For instance, I just boat my boat last fall, I have only test drove it. Since then, I have upgraded the cabin speakers, installed tower speakers, dual batts, seadek swim pad, GIII reversible pump ballast upgrade (soon to be GIV I think), bow filler cushion, and I'm sure I am forgetting something. Anyway, you get the point. Money can fly out the window pretty quick, when actually imo the boats come factory with plenty of great options .

As far as a sub goes. Lots of options. I would check out audioformz fiberglass sub enclosure, remember regular sub box MDF is going to soak up water and may only work for a short time. Here is one of the answers I received when I asked the same question:

"If you're looking for sub ideas, I just had one installed, and it is by far my favorite addition to my boat so far. I stole the idea for my setup pretty much directly from what Tazz3069 has in his boat.

I bought a Boston Acoustics G3 10" sub off of ebay for $165. This sub doesn't need much air (I believe .65 cubic ft.), so I had it installed in a fiberglass sub enclosure from www.audioformz.com . The enclosure is attached directly to my kickplate, so it sits above your feet, and faces down.

It's almost embarrassing how hard this thing hits. My friend has 3 subs in his boat, and I'm pretty sure my bass sounds better.

Just an alternative for a sub idea if you're not wild about building a box or cutting a hole in your kickplate.

Congrats on your boat!"

I am in the process of finding out if the custom Exile LSV box will fit in the OBV. Watch the Exile audio tech session that was recently posted, lots of good info, and the sub box is featured. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

What are your stock cabin speakers? I had Kenwoods, no rubber surrounds. They did sound pretty good, but I chose to upgrade to Polks db650s, best bang for the buck. They can take some decent amp power too.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by 2007 Outback V; 04-01-2010 at 10:08 PM.

The stock cabin speakers sound decent until you hear a boat with good aftermarket speakers then you'll look at your stock speakers and want to replace them. You can replace all 6 cabin speakers with much better sounding Polk db651's for $150. I think a subwoofer adds more depth to a boat stereo because just having cabins makes the music too bright. When you get to tower speakers don't waste your time/money on non-HLCD speakers.

really wow lots of up grades in so little time your boat looks great though ya there is so many things i wanna do im just taking it one step at a time and wanna do everything the right way to avoid uneed costs and replacements im not sure what kind of speakers they are the are the stock speakers and say kicker on them lol ya a nice sub set up and and all around audio is first on the to do list thanks evryone for all the input and links ill keep you all posted on my project and get some pics up soon......
    ~Prove it~
    2008 Moomba Outback V
    Upgrades SO FAR more to come for the summer!!!!
    new decals, tinted winshield, new trailer tires.....

Lots of great Mods on here and lots of upgrades. Be careful about the $$$ ist adds up quick. try to figure out what you really want first and then tackle that project.

The polk db 651 replacement is probably the easiest upgrade and cheapest. The kicker speakers you have are preety decent. Most of us had the kenwood or earlier((KRACO?) speakers and it was a night and day comp.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Lots of great Mods on here and lots of upgrades. Be careful about the $$$ ist adds up quick. try to figure out what you really .
    That ain't no lie. I've only had my boat since Sept so it's only been in the water 5 times but when I figured out what I wanted in the stereo...well, $5,700 later I have it.

Your Kicker speakers already installed are top notch and hard to beat. They have a lot of feature benefit already built in... You have a sealed shielded midrange motor for better efficiency, a sealed midrange cone for greater cone surface area and moisture resistance... You can hose these speakers down with no ill effects. You can put a decent amount of power in them, more maybe than your boat came with from the factory. Depending on which amp you currently have, you probably can put more power to them and get them really singing.

As others have shared, a subwoofer is pretty much a first choice upgrade, and you will need an amp to run the sub, so upgrading the amp to a 5-channel with more power for the in-boat speakares AND enough power to run the sub makes a lot of sense. A Kicker SKM10 sub enclosure is a good choice; it is ready to go, totally sealed and totally water-proof. A pair of them would rock even harder.

The ZXM700.5 will deliver about 210 watts to a single subwoofer, or 420 watts to a pair of subs, (210 watts each). Then for the in-boat speakers the full range amp section will deliver about 65 watts to each speaker; pretty much spot-on for the speakers you already have. The ZXM700.5 has built-in crossovers, bass boost, (go easy with that bass boost!) and super flexibility with how you connect up the RCA inputs and route your signal. It also features conformal coated circuit boards, for improved moisture and corrosion resistance.

After the sub, tower speakers are an obvious choice, there are lots to choose from, and they all have their unique set of features and performance so shop around based on your needs.

Holler at me if you have any questions, I would love to help!

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 04-02-2010 at 09:53 AM.