Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Max amount / Safe amount of weight for surfing

The Max amount / Safe amount of weight for surfing

My 02 Mobius will seat 10 people and or 1350lbs, now I heard of people putting 1500lbs + in their boats for surfing. And I’ve seen a few pictures of someone’s Outback on here looking like it’s damn near sinking in the back corner from have a ton of weight. And I know the newer boats can hold must more weight… but what is the most I can load up my 02 with and still be safe???

Thanks

I have 3300 lbs plumbed for boarding, (3) 1100lbs bags, and I also keep a 750lbs bag to throw on whatever side we're surfing on. I fill the bag in the belly to aboue half or a little over (~650lbs), fill the surf-side 1100lbs bag, and fill the 750lbs portable bag. So, that's 2500lbs for surfing there. I'm still trying to dial it in, so I may play with filling the bow bag completely and messing with the non-surf side bag. My boats rated for alot more than most (16 people / tons of weight, don't remember off the top of my head), so definitely try to follow your USCG plaque, but yes...there are people who load the bajesus out of their boats, but it's not necessarily "safe."
    Last edited by iwakeboard; 03-31-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    '05 Supra Launch 24SSV

I used to run 1200 in mine. 400 in the "trunk" with the bag pulled to the surf side. 400 in front of the rear seat-- again, with the bag pulled to the surf side. 400 in the walkway on the surf side. With the wife and 6 kids up front or sitting on the surf side it would throw a pretty decent surf wake. Never felt it was dangerous either.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Ok so I guess I shouldn’t have said a “safe” amount… who is safe these’s days anyways…lol

Ed G…
    Yeah I really wasn’t looking for an exact amount but really wondering what you had in your boat! LOL Considering your outback is similar to my boat.

And how is the wave for you with that amount in your boat. Do you have any pic’s???

I have a 400 in the rear and a 300 in the ski locker… and I’m looking to get maybe a 500 or 750 on the side…

((I liked to have the rear rub rail of my Outback about two inches above the water surface, when boat is at idle.))<-- NICE!!! LOL

get your self a 750 or 1100 and fill it till your comfortable with the way your boat is sitting, that way if you have 2 small peeps in the boat you can fill it more and less if there is more buddy ballast........gives you lots of options and leeway for ballast........just ......02
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

in my outback ls i used to fill ballast and get as many peeps into the boat on the surf side as possible. at least 750lbs and try to get them all to sit in that back corner.....looked pretty funny.........always got the talk back....are you saying i'm fat cause you want me to come for a boat ride?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

we have a friend that runs 6'5" and is currently at 455. we joked around with him a while ago about what great ballast he would make on the boat.. he just had gastric bypass, so won't last long, but good to lose the weight

I agree with ed on the rubrail theory. takes 750 in the back corner, 400 in the center, 400 in the walkway and 400 on the seat on the surfside usually with 3-4 in the boat for us to get the best surfwake. have only done goofy once and it didn't take near as much on that side. not sure why, but didn't need the seat bag.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

on the OBV stand on surf side of the swim deck and the water should be between you shin and knee, probably Ed's method, 3" below the rub rail.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    on the OBV stand on surf side of the swim deck and the water should be between you shin and knee, probably Ed's method, 3" below the rub rail.
    haha I do rub rail you know its good but I dont recommend it if your on a busy lake

Sandm-on the goofy surf side you get that free driver ballast and in my boat thats good for 250
    2007 Outback V

Thanks for all the info…

I think I’ll get a 750 to put on the surf side to go along with the 400 in the back and 300 up front…

And I think I’m going to get another 400 to put in the back for when I’m wakeboarding... <--any toughs on that… will that be too much weight for wakeboarding? 1100 plus a few people at the max…